Best method for Sighting In for Groups

I use a 6-9" harris bipod on the shortest setting I can get away with. Usually 6" from a bench.

I then have a tiny light weight squeeze bag for putting under the stock and two flat sand bags for my elbows.

When using a bipod I feel much more comfortable letting go of the gun and knowing that it will stay upright. When sitting on a front bag I'm always worried it could roll or slide off. All that adds to being as calm as possible for me when shooting for groups.

Lots of good info already mentioned about the actual shooting of the rifle. Here is an idea about the target. I use plastic push-pins, either white or yellow on a black target. I set my scope off a couple of clicks....wind or elevation, doesn't matter. Now when you are actually shooting, you have a small POA that you don't hit. The reason for this is because if you hit your POA then you change the way it looks and therefore probably can't hold the exact POA again. After you are all done shooting your groups adjust your turret back to zero and you are all good. A small POA is really important when shooting for groups, especially when doing load development. Hope this helps.

I tend to use a front rest and heavy rear bag off a bench for initial load development. Dope and final checks are done with whatever you hunt with.
I have seen a difference in poi between bench setups vs bipod @ long range. Some argue it doesn't happen, but that is my experience with bigger cartridges (rum, edge, etc)

I use this (pictured) with a rear bag to get everything dialed in, then I go prone with the Harris or Mag-Pul bipod (no rear support) to simulate field shooting and practice. I front load the bipod enough to keep the butt of the stock in my shoulder when prone and there is sometimes a POI shift vertically but usually only .5 minute out to 300-400, so I don't worry too much about it.
Best bag out there that I have found.

I feel it's best to practice the way you plan to hunt. I always shoot from a bipod and a small rear squeeze bag. That way when I get in the field, everything is second nature. Your rifle will respond differently under recoil depending on what rests you use. The added weight of the bipod with change the recoil characteristics of your rifle. Some food for thought

Bulls bag on the front and small rear bag is the way I go to see what the rifle will do and sight in for 100 yards....to get a new scope on paper I shoot dead on at 25 yards 1st.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.