Best magnum contour for hunting/comp?

My new 26 inch bartlein on my 338 rum is a number 5 bull sporter. The crown is .750. The broughton that I removed was about .650 at the crown.
That's pretty much mine too for anything I'm going to have to carry very far or in steep terrain.

I've got a 14lbs custome with a palma barrel that shoots lights out but it's not the most fun to lug. With the longer and heavier barrel it is super stable lending towards exceptional accuracy but at my age it's a bit much to pack unless the horse is doing he packing.

I'm going to rebarrel my Model 70 Extreme Weather model with the same contour as yours.

The very best shooter I have though is the Sharpshooter chambered in 7mmSTW. It has a Schieder standard magnum contour which finishes about .670 and is slightly lighter but ****, there's nothing that shoots like a Schieder. Unfortunately he prices them appropriately. Last I talked to the old man he wanted 800.00 just for the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts