Best magnification for a scope

MY CHOICE FOR MY 6.5 PRC:
I hunt in Nevada with a Browning X-Bolt Pro chambered in 6.5 PRC. It's a long range hunting cartridge IMHO.

MY SCOPE:
2019 Bushnell Elite LRTS 4.5 - 18 x 44, FFP, mil/mil, G3 illuminated "small Xmas tree" reticle.
Deer often stay in the shade if it's warm and I needed an illuminated reticle. THIS reticle, a G3, is great for long distance hunting as it's not too busy but great for windage and elevation when paired with a rangefinder and you understand your particular bullet's response to wind. No dialing is needed with this reticle. Since I'm used to using my H59 big Xmas tree reticle for competition the G3 is a breeze to use and much better than the similar Zeiss reticle.

I feel 18x is enough for any game I'll shoot out to 800 - 900 yards on antelope. Since I compete to 1,100 yards on steel at my club with a 3.5 - 21x scope I know the 4.5 - 18 will work just fine.
The key for me is that I am familiar both with long range shooting and with Xmas tree reticles for elevation and wind holds.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.