Best magnification for a scope

These days I've become more interested in FOV numbers than magnification. I've found preference for 30ft @ 100yd or better. This is not essential, but when shooting movers at less than 100yd I've found a wide FOV to be an asset.

I like the simplicity of fixed power scopes, but don't find myself using them much. Fixed 10x is great for longer range, but inside 200yd doesnt leave room for as much 'situational awareness' as a 6x. 6x is great, but I begin to struggle on smaller targets like coyotes past 500yd.

2-10x is great for simplicity, especially if someone doesn't want to worry about parallax. Works great in SFP because a guy will pretty much always be at max magnification for the longer shots.

For me a 3-12x covers all the bases. After 10x (really more like 8x) parallax can become a thing. (Would you buy a binocular without a focus control?) FFP starts to make sense, as a guy might want to turn down from max magnification a bit and still use the reticle.

3-15x is really strong. Easily enough mag for small targets at long range, and usually enough to read mirage. Definitely need a parallax control. FFP starts to really shine, but some reticles start to get lost at low magnification.

Personally I can't imagine ever needing more than 3-18 or 4-20, but watch out because with these high erector ratios, sometimes FOV can suffer. Generally good scopes in this category are heavy and expensive.

For a lot of guys, portability is a factor as well, so there are trade-offs and compromises to be made on the way to 'best'

A different point of view:

All of my hunting rifles are shot extensively at the range, especially my LR rigs. I love to shoot and spend a considerable amount of time fine tuning loads and experimenting with new bullets as they come out. Probably 99% of my shots are at paper before I take the 1% shot at game. I like a variable with 20-25x at the upper end so that I can see and hold well on distant aiming points/ targets while developing loads. Without high magnification sometimes you just can't be sure about your hold. If the group isn't good you wonder if it was a bad load or a bad hold.

Once an accuracy load has been established and I'm afield, I use the lowest magnification and rarely find a need for more than 10x for actual shooting at game. So a high magnification variable gets things accomplished on both ends.

Did someone say fixed power scopes? 😁

F8BDB7B1-3925-48BD-B0ED-2600805CF7F1.jpeg

There are5 12x Leupolds, 2 16x IROs and a 20x Sightronas well as a pile of 4-16 valuables int safe.
The 12x are on prarie dog guns
The 16x are on rock killing practice guns
The 20x sits on the 338 Edge
The 4-16x get used on coyote and big game units

i guess i should have added my looking at a fixed power

That's why I responded as such ...

It depends on the distance, type of target, type of shooting (benchrest), and your actual vision. For instance, I have a 4-20x50 on my . 270 AI, I shot at a target (rock) at 966 yards on 12X and my son had to take it down to 8X. For most, 3-18/4-20 variable is plenty for a 1K yard, 10X fixed used to be the norm for snipers.

Great advice here.

However, IMO long range hunting of groundhogs and similar sized critters requires a higher magnification even at medium ranges.

There's a huge difference in shooting at a 500 lb elk in the boiler room at 700 yards with 10x vs a 12 lb groundhog's head at 400 yds at 10x.

I run a 1980's 6-24x Tasco World Class on my 25-06, and find myself always using 20x+. I only dial down if the mirage is very bad. In which case I usually miss anyway.

I usually hunt with a buddy, and we alternate shots. The non-shooter is in the scope on his gun, in order to call the hit/miss and also secretly hoping for a follow up shot. So spotting the impact is not necessary, and to be honest is often difficult for me considering my choice of a medium recoil caliber.

I guess I could dial down, but IMO that only increases likelihood I miss. And there are bragging right involved.

Last edited:
In short these guys have nailed it. The hunting guide I have used for the last 3 years recommends 3-15X or higher if it's your comfort level. Just remember that the magnification also magnifies your movement. Practice, practice, practice. If you can find the ammo.

Shoot a silhouette match fee handed with a 10x40x50 then hunt with 2.5 at 50-200 yards and you should be able to hit a deer if repeat and shoot at a cardboard deer until you can shoot with confidence. You can not practice enough

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.