Best LR .30 caliber on .473 bolt face

pacowboy

My cousin is looking to rebarrel a Rem 721 long action and is wanting the best .30 caliber he can put on this action. Not looking to change the bolt face. He is looking to match or exceed 300 Win Mag if possible. Just share facts and your experiences please. Please don't make this a ,,,,,, contest.

Last edited by a moderator:
My cousin is looking to rebarrel a Rem 721 long action and is wanting the best .30 caliber he can put on this action. Not looking to change the bolt face. He is looking to match or exceed 300 Win Mag if possible. Just share facts and your experiences please. Please don't make this a ****ing contest.

A straight .30-06 with a 26"+ 1:9" (just my preference) is no slouch. Depending on what your cousin is willing and able to do i.e., wildcatting/fireforming. AI version is another consideration and probably the best improvement with the least amount of work. I have a .30 Gibbs (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-is-finally-ready.242088/) that I am still developing loads.

.30 GIBBS cartridge.JPG

.30-06 IMPROVED INSIDE VOLUME.JPG

Good luck!

Ed

A few options:

30-06 long throat in a 24-26" tube. This allows the bullet to be seated out and allows more powder capacity. I have 2 of these and like them. Similar performance to a AI without fire forming: 165gr's at 3,000-3,100fps. 180gr's at 2,900fps

30-06AI with either SAAMI or longer throat.

30 Gibbs or Sherman. When you have to have it all use a longer throat.

@FEENIX

I'd be curious in performance between the AI and the 30degree show in the pic you posted or if there is any. That's an interesting and thought provoking post. Thanks

Sorry, I do not have performance measurement/comparison between AI and the 30 degrees but if you look at #148 on the hyperlink, you'll see actual load development thus far - pushing the 190 Berger VLD at 2800 FPS out of 24" barrel.

Sorry, I do not have performance measurement/comparison between AI and the 30 degrees but if you look at #148 on the hyperlink, you'll see actual load development thus far - pushing the 190 Berger VLD at 2800 FPS out of 24" barrel.
No worries I wasn't asking you for it, per se, just thinking out loud. Thanks again for sharing

Recent Posts