Best low light glass?

So much good glass today. To think that some 60+ years ago - I hunted big Mulies in timber in Southern Oregon with a 4x fixed Weaver - and for my young - then sharp eyes - it was just fine. Vortex also makes some good for the price scopes - but it is also how you like the view - the fit on your rifle, adjustments, etc.

Absolute best I've used is a Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 followed by the heisoldt 4-14

but with that said the leupold mk 5 is really close.

Most variable power high quality glass will be good on lower powers in low light, but S&B is noticeably better in the wee hours of the morning

There are good deals at times in the classifieds on Swarovski x5 or x5i scopes. The lowlight performance is comparable to the S&B Ultrabright. You can not go by advertised light transmission figures alone. Coatings and other factors play important roles.
Agreed. I have several Sig Sauer, which is great glass for the price; comparable to say a vortex mid-high price scope. The Sig Sauer Sierra3 has a stated 92% light transmission. However, without the illumination reticle I'd be hard pressed at last light to have optimal shot.
S&B is by far the best and they know it. That's Y you pay $4-5k for'em

as a previous posted stated all my hunting scopes wear Swarovski. I have nightforce that are great too, but low light is the issue Swarovski in my opinion are the best

The Leupold Mark 5 has some great glass if you're a fan. I feel like I can see better through that scope in lowlight than I can with my own eyes.

The Tract has some decent glass for the price point as well but definitely not as good as my Mark 5 and you will be a bit limited on vertical adjustment. That has been my only complaint about that scope.

Choose your reticle wisely.

Bob
Bob cape you are absolutely correct and I highly recommend an illuminated reticle for hunting in low light conditions. It is amazing how dark and difficult it is to see your reticle in deep woods at the beginning and end of legal shooting hours!
I have leupold S&B nightforce nxs of all kinds on my long range rifles both tactical or hunting since the 70's and I just put a swaro X5i 3x18x50 on my latest long range and it is as good as any I have ever had on a rifle whether target hunting or LE. It may not be as durable as a night force and that is why night force has been on my duty rifles since they came available, but it is clearer and brighter than any scope I have. The closest one for light gathering to the X5i is my S&B PM2 5x25.
I bought the swaro X5i from the classifieds here and have been very happy with it.

S&B, Swarovski, and Zeiss. Top three no questions and no arguments, just facts. I'm sorry but all the others fall short in lower light, including NF, khales, and Leupold. Just not in the same class. Great scopes but don't compare in low light.
You do know that Kahles is Swarovski's premium line?

Last edited:
I'll start off by admitting the most expensive glass I've had the opportunity to personally test is the Leupopd VX5 HD. Most of my deer rifles wear various versions of the VX3. Comparing these to others based solely on low light for their prices I've not seen any that outperform. However my experience is limited to a few makes and models. How do other brands and models compare to these solely on low light ability?
Vortex Razor LHT

I'll start off by admitting the most expensive glass I've had the opportunity to personally test is the Leupopd VX5 HD. Most of my deer rifles wear various versions of the VX3. Comparing these to others based solely on low light for their prices I've not seen any that outperform. However my experience is limited to a few makes and models. How do other brands and models compare to these solely on low light ability?
Vortex razor LHT