Best Long Range Target Rifle...?

magicofmt

Just bought a Savage Predator in 223 with factory mounted scope and shot it yesterday with 10 diff recipies found on this site and SavageShooters. 2nd recipe was 3 holes in perfect cover leaf and only half the little bullet hole showing on each. WOW I was impressed. Savage does it again. Facory scope was boresighted and it was 4 inch hign a 1 inch right at 100 yds

Ksmirk

You said you had a Savage in Mod 12 223 right? I just got back from the range earlier and was shooting out to 300 with very good results whooting the 75gr A-Max! yea I know they are not supposed to work in a 1-9 twist barrel but they worked great in mine and the little brothers! so I would say you have you target rifle, now if your looking for a good reason to BUY another rifle then by all means forget what I posted above and go get you a new rifle!

I'm waiting on my scope to get in but my 243 and the 105 A-Max has been doing pretty good, it has a 1-8 twist barrel haven't got to shoot it past 100 yet but when the scope shows up it'll be time to go see what it can do. Later,

Kirk

blygy

The 204 definately isn't a great choice for 600 yards.. I have hit coyotes @ 450 with mine but it was a very calm day.

I was shooting with two buddies on a breezy day.. They were shooting a 7mm Rem and a 300 Win.. I had 1-1.5" of wind drift @ 100 yards .. they had none that we could discern.

I like the quote " a big fast bullet beats a small fast bullets every time."

Just my experience.

Last edited:

trebark

I would agree with the several folks that have advocated working-over your current gun rather than buy a new one. I'm in the same situation as you. I have a rifle and I'm not satisfied with the accuracy. I looked at what it would cost to buy a new rifle against custom gunsmith work. They were about the same. So, rather than buy another rifle, I've invested in a premium stock and will have the gun rebarrelled, square the action, lugs lapped, and the action bedded. If my trigger had not already been worked-over I would be doing that as well. This way I get a 'new' custom rifle and should outperform any rifle out-of-the box even with factory ammo.

Your Savage is a great platform to start with. By re-working the gun the only thing you need to do is choose the caliber. I would also agree with the other folks here that for 600 yards you would want something heavier than a 204.

Let us know what you decide.

cjmousseau

just bought a rem 700sps in a 308 BBL rifle and i threw on a Osprey 10 - 40x50 mm Long Range Tactical Scope, Matte Black with a harris bipod and a uncle mikes Neoprene Buttstock Shell Holders and a tactical sling i put about $1,000 in everything so i was wondering if i should throw on a .308 VORTEX FLASH HIDER threw brownells and what ammo should i use. I just can't wait to go and shoot the thing it's going to be great

best of luck

Charles H Mousseau JR

:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.