best long range short action round

gearfoot

Looking for ideas on a 1000 yard short action chambering. I am going to buy a remington 700 action soon so I need to know if I should get a magnum or standard bolt face. My hunting gun is a 7mm WSM so I'd like somthing different.

This will be a target gun for shooting steel gongs 99% of the time.

thanks for any advice.

Would also like it to be able to feed reliable from a DM system or just the stock BDL magazine.

Thanks.

If all you are doing is banging steel, you could do well with a hot 6 or 6.5mm round and save yourself the recoil. You don't need the energy on target of a hunting application. The 243AI, 243 WSSM and 260 Remington come to mind. Typically I'd also recommend the 7mm and 300 WSMs, but you wanted something different than the 7mmWSM.

If all you are doing is banging steel, you could do well with a hot 6 or 6.5mm round and save yourself the recoil. You don't need the energy on target of a hunting application. The 243AI, 243 WSSM and 260 Remington come to mind. Typically I'd also recommend the 7mm and 300 WSMs, but you wanted something different than the 7mmWSM.

+1, and I will add 6.5x47 Lapua, 6mmx47Lapua, 22-250 and 220 Swift with a high twist barrel for shooting the heavy pills. Something you may want to consider is looking into some benchrest calibers such as the 6mmBR, 6PPC, 6XC, 6.5x284, and always the reliable .308 Winny. Another to consider is the old 7mm-08. You won't be breaking any land speed records, but you will have a good selection of bullets.

This is a very good source to do some searching for punching paper accurately. I know I have used this numerous times to make decisions for different calibers and shooting advice. It is a very informative sight in my opinion.

AccurateShooter.com 6mmBR.com -- Best Guide to Precision Shooting and Precision Rifle Accuracy

6BR,Dasher,6xc If your looking to bang steel take a look at Gary Elesio's tube gun stock. The benifits are pretty substantial for across the course type shooting. The 6br class of cartridges will help you with doping wind. They also don't eat barrels near as fast as the 243 sized case. Good brass and great high bc bullets Lastly no recoil to speak of with out a break

Looking for ideas on a 1000 yard short action chambering. I am going to buy a remington 700 action soon so I need to know if I should get a magnum or standard bolt face. My hunting gun is a 7mm WSM so I'd like somthing different.

This will be a target gun for shooting steel gongs 99% of the time.

thanks for any advice.

You already have the one that I would recomend so my next choice would be the 7/08 plenty
of cases (308 necked down to 7mm). Lots of good bullets and if you reload you already have
plenty. Lots of 1000 yard matches have been won with the 7/08 and recoil is mild.

My next choice after the 7/08 would be the 260 Rem (A 6.5 /308).

Both use the standard bolt face.

I have used the 7/08 very successfully beyond 500 yards on deer and 600+ on hogs.

These cartriges load very easy and accuracy is second to none.

J E CUSTOM

.300WSM

Great gun for hunting or target shooting out to 1000 and beyond if you are skilled enough. Wide selection of bullets, fairly cheap to reload depending on the bullet your using.

You can shoot targets at distance with just about any of the calibers listed above. It just comes down to personal preference. As far as recoil....the .300WSM isnt bad at all to me, but I have a heavy gun and only shoot it prone now off a bipod, so...

The problem with some of those mentioned is they will not feed through short actions with long, heavy, high BC bullets for long range shooting and should be built on a long action because of that. With all things considered the 243 AI would be my choice for your purpose. In a well built rifle you should have no problem shooting 5-9 inch groups at 1000 yards. It is extremely accurate with good barrel life and long range bullets can be fed through the action. This is one of the most consistently accurate 1000 yard chamberings ever.

ill just throw this out there. go for a .223 or .223wsm and shoot 80gr pills. cheep and fun. no recoil. i spot bunny hits at 100yrds. love it...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.