Best Long Range Scope???

PrimeTime

I need a scope for shooting anywhere from 100 yards to maybe 1,000. I shoot ground hogs out to 6 or 7 hundred and may try a 1,000 yard event. My main concern is very precise and repeatable clicks. Once I develop my drop chart, I want to have faith that the scope is repeating the clicks accurately. Clarity is the second concern.
Considering the Leupold 6-18 or a Burris Signature or FullField 2. Any insight would really make the decision easier. Also, if you know of any cheap places to buy these scopes???

You might want to try the Leupold Longrange with the side wheel focus and the 30 MM tube.

They come in a 6 1/2X to 20X and also the 8 1/2X to 25X.

They have enough elevation clicks available to get you where you want to go.

Check some of the other forms advertiser's for the best price. www.xtremeaccuracy.com
is one to check.

Darryl Cassel

I have to echo what Darryl said. The Leupold Long Range scope is a very good choice for this application. I have one on my 6/284 and have used it for long range varminting and some 1000 yd competition. The one piece base on this rifle is tapered so that the scope is in the centre of its adjustment range at around 700 yds. I can then dial in the appropriate distance, from 100 yds to over 1000 yds. The Leupold also comes standard with a fine crosshair with a 1/8" dot, which is my favourite reticle.

PT-

Right off the bat, you can eliminate the Leupold 6-18X, as well as any of the Vari-X II series. The don't have click adjustments. You can send them off the Premier Reticles to have clicks installed though for a fairly cheap price.

I am a little confused when you say the Vari-X 2 6-18 doesn't have clicks.
I know someone that uses it at thousand yard shoots and for varminting and they "click" to adjust for drop and it seems to be very consistant. Do you mean that the Vari-X 3 clicks are something different?
Please explain as I want to make an informed purchase.
Thank you

I believe the Vari-X II's that have target turrets are 'click' type but the standard short adjustment capped version Vari-X II's are 'friction' adjustment.

I have had some tactical (target turret) 3x9 Vari-X II's that were 'click'.

Never seen or messed with a Vari-X II that had turrets. Maybe they are different, but the standard low-profile Vari-X II is a friction adjustment. Fine for a hunting scope that will be zeroed & left alone, but not very repeatable.

To me, i don´t need anything different then the Schmidt&Bender 4-16x50 ....
Mayby i´ll try the 8-32x Nightforce, but i´m not shure....

Michael

you can't gp wrong with the nightforce i have 2' 5 x 22 x 56 and 1" 8 x one32 x 56 and a 12 x42 x56 they are the beast out there that is my two cents and i do not like the NXS style well have a great one coyote slayer

Coyote Slayer,
Could you explain why you don't like the NXS. I have only used the NXS and would like to hear your opinion comparing the two Nightforce models.
Thanks,
ian

sure no Problem, i spend about ten months a year in the Alaska bush and am eather on a ATV or a snowmachine I have not found a way to keep that darn extra knob out of the middle of my back and with ten to twelve hour days it gets to be a bit to much.
the older scope does not have that problem even climbing it is a constant bang to the center of the back.
That is my only complant i know it sounds petty but it is like a small stone in your boot.
but a guy that I buy my scopes from has a lot of the old stock so I guess i will keep buying from him till I pass away or he runs out, what ever comes first LOL LOL LOL other than that they do make the best out there.all of mine are in the RR1 model.
Please excuse any spelling Killing wolves and coyotes are my strong point
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Coyote Slayer,
Thanks for that info. The "tactical" type scopes commonly have the third turret and I have never considered the problem that you mention.

You might be aware of this info but I use a sling from Browning that has two shoulder straps so that you hang the rifle on your shoulders like a backpack. The rifle is mostly vertical and not sideways to the back. This sling is great for long hauls but I must admit it is not the fastest to deploy until you have practiced a bunch.

I don't carry rifles as much as you and do not know if this sling would work in the bush on an atv. We have to have our rifles encased on atv's in Sask. so I don't know how well it might work in that application.

If you are interested there is a picture of the sling in use in the current issue of American Hunter in a scope article.

Thanks Ian
I saw a copy on friends coffie table and will try and get it away from him to read
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
thanks and have a great weekend :Coyote Slayer

Coyote Slayer

I have been using an NXS 5.5 to 22 since last summer and haven't noticed the "knob in the back" problem. I'll look for it now that you mention it.

Meanwhile, I just ordered a rifle scabbard-backpack combo from Nimrod Packs at www.nimrodpacks.com.

You can use it without the backpack, too. In this mode it is a scabbard with shoulder harness system that sounds a little like Browning's product but with a scabbard. I tried it out at the Safari Club Convention last winter. Very easy to deploy the rifle quickly. It would be particularily good for carrying a heavier rifle in the 12 pound and up class. I bought it partly in case I need a longer horse scabbard for my 30 inch barrel on my sheep hunt next month.

I love my NXS, by the way. May get a second one soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.