Best long range round. 6.5 creed, .260, 6.5x284, or 6mm br?

BigBucks18

I need help! I'm looking into getting into the long range game. I have narrowed it down to a 6.5 creedmoor, .260, 6.5x284, or the 6mm br. I have done some research and it seems as thought the 6.5x284 is a barrel burner. The creed and .260 both seem like good rounds and I don't know much about the 6mm at all. I currently have a savage model 16 weather warrior in a .300wsm. I've read a few things about this being a decent long range round, but haven't heard that much of it. Please give me some insight here!

How far are you going to be shooting, all those calibers are good for shooting 1000yds. or more the big difference is how they handle the wind.

I have a 6.5x284 and it is a very good long range shooter. I have shot it out to 1760yds.

I also have a 243 Winchester with a 1:8 twist 28" barrel that shoot 105gr. Bergers great out to 1200yds.

Both of my guns are built on Savage actions.
6.5x284 on a Daul port Target action
243 on a Savage model 12 action

Proper hand loads will result in a very good long range rifle in the 300WSM. I would suggest a break if you plan to do prolonged shooting. Now to your original question, the 6.5x284 will be the best for long range hunting. The 260 and Creedmoor will do well to 8-900 yds on whitetails and well into the 1500yd range for paper. The 6BR is a very popular target caliber, but will work well for mid range hunting (600yds+ on deer, 1000 on varmints... maybe longer if you call the wind right). The 6BR will give you the longest barrel longevity and least recoil. The 6.5's will be very manageable in the recoil realm. Both are very popular for tactical shoots, and the Creed is gaining a lot of popularity on the target ranges to 1000yds. The 6.5x284 is the king of speed in the your chosen calibers. You will get about 1100-1500 rnds of useable .25 MOA accuracy. This is subjective, and I'm only offering what I know from others feedback. It all depends on how hard you push the barrel, and how hot you run your loads.

The 300WSM is very versatile. It can handle heavier class bullets with good results. It's set a couple 1000yd records. It is also a good long range animal rifle from varmints up to Elk and bear. The 6.5's will handle Elk and Bear, but depending on which one you pick depends on how far you want to shoot an animal. That's another topic in itself. So lets not go there. Too many opinions on that.

Tank

Thanks for you're help guys. Do you know anything about the savage Model 12 F class or bench rest model? And if so are the accurate enough to shoot competitively without any or little modifications?

Thanks for you're help guys. Do you know anything about the savage Model 12 F class or bench rest model? And if so are the accurate enough to shoot competitively without any or little modifications?

I just had some trigger time on one the other day in 6.5x284 very nice rifle, I think if your a savage fan its a good buy.

Any of the model 12's are very accurate. I owned the Mod12 VLP in .308. I have handled, but never shot the target models. The Savage palma and high power team use the same rifles you and I can buy. They have been very successful in rifle competitions. My cousin has a custom 338 Lapua built on a target action. It's the same that is used on the 12 F-class and F/TR. It is a solid action and with a very nice trigger. Can't go wrong with any of the the Target models if you plan to compete. Guys are finding that factory target models are not only competing well against custom rifles, but winning!:D If you can buy one or one of them tickles your fancy, go for it.

Tank

Another suggestion would be to build your own Savage. There is a great aftermarket and they aren't hard to put together. Buy a used rifle, put the Rifle Basix trigger on it, barrel of your choice, a competition recoil lug, and a good stock, and your good to go. Stockade Gun stocks makes some good hardware for your Savage rifle building needs. You'll also want to get a go-gauge for head spacing and a barrel nut wrench. Even with purchasing the tools, you'll save money and have a custom rifle. I would also suggest buying a Pacific Tool & Gauge Savage bolt head.

Tank

The 6.5x284 has a barrel burner reputation for 3 main reasons.

1: Many shooters push them to the absolute limits.

2: Many shooters use these maxed out loads in match rifles. 20-30 top end loads in 20-30 minutes is very hard on a 6.5x284 barrel.

3: 6.5x284 have carbon fouling/carbon ring issues in short order. If not deat with swiftly and effectively, will destroy the accuracy potential of the barrel. Even after it is figured out and rectified.

Lower the pressures, limit the shot strings and keep a handle on the carbon near the breach and it will treat you right.

For pure ballistic performance at long range the 6.5x284 will best the other calibers you mention, and you will feel little difference in recoil. There is a reason this caliber holds many of the records. The price paid will be barrel life that is about half or less. I have seen the Savage Target series rifles win matches at our club competing against full customs on several occasions. My buddy has the Target Model in 308 and is consistenly in the top rankings. A nice thing about the Savage design is that you can easily replace a barrel on their own with a minor investment in tools and gauges. If a shooter is shooting high volume, this makes the barrel planning process a whole lot easier, and cost effective if your not a well trained gunsmith. I own a few Savages. Because my competitive shooting is typically at the mid ranges, 600 yards or less, I use a 260 LRP. This rifle is exceptionally accurate and required no modification to achieve consistent .25MOA or better. I also have a Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 that I use for hunting out to +1000 yards that shoots as well. For this use, at 60 years old, I will probably never change the barrel. If big game hunting is on your plate with this purchase, the 6.5x284 will have the edge over the other choices at +700 yards.

I looked up Savage 16 weather warrior and it looks like a regular weight barrel. It would be ok for a few shots and let cool. Weight is light so a good brake would be needed. As far as 300 WSM goes it is a good caliber. Easy to tune. The 6.5-284 has all but disappeared on the thousand yard benchrest game. Most are shooting 6 Dashers or 300 WSM. Both very efficient cases. Easy to tune and very accurate. The Dasher would be good on deer to about 6 to maybe 7 hundred yards. The WSM would be good to about 1000 yards. Both of these rounds hold almost every record in the country at 1000 yard benchrest. The WSM would need to have a 10 or 11 twist for the 210 Berger Vld or hybrid. The 190 would give a little less recoil and should still be ok. The 6mm would need a 8 twist and 105 to 108 bullets for long range. I have had a few Benchrest guns in 6.5-284 and they are hard to tune and keep tuned for benchrest competition. If you get one to work they work good. I just think the other two are easier to get and keep shooting. Matt

The 6.5x47 will run 140g bullets to 2900 fps with 40 to 41g of powder.
Thats 10gs less powder than the 6.5x284.
Hard to beat a 6.5x47 Lapua.

dave

The 6.5x47 will run 140g bullets to 2900 fps with 40 to 41g of powder.
Thats 10gs less powder than the 6.5x284.
Hard to beat a 6.5x47 Lapua.

dave

My cousin is building a 6.5x47 right now. The biggest problem he is having is finding brass. He's been on back order for about 2 months now.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.