best long range elk gun

More Elk than legal over the years in Colo. For years, 270 Win out of a Rem 700. 150 gr nosier BT. Lost one @ +/- 450 yards😭😭😭. The next year a 300 WM Winchester #70. 180 gr Nosler BT. Elk from about 75 yds, on out +/- 800 yds. All were one shot, one kill. Even had one with a Contender in 7mm TCU @ about 50 yds.

You don't want to be undergunned ! Every Expert knows Elk are tougher than a Bradley !

Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 11.59.12 AM.jpg

I just use medium calibers and shoot them out to 500 yds. I currently favor a 145 gr Barnes LRX in a 22" lightweight 7mm-08 leaving the bore at 2844. IMO anything over a .300 mag of some sort is way over what you need.

That's really funny stuff!!!! So ,in 1979 I shot my very first small Elk. A real learning experience for me!! A spike with 19 inch horns . Legal back then in Colo. I used my Brand New Weatherby Mark V , in 270 Weath Mag. 26 Inch #2 barrel. 150 Grn Speer Grand Slam. Hit the elk really well at 200 yards. I was shocked to see no sign of the elk being hit. Nothing !!!!! It Just kept trotting away. I thought I missed it. The guide said " You hit him, shoot again ". I did . Neck shot and down he went. Back in camp , as we butchered the elk, they showed me a portion of the heart was actually split open by the first shot. That need for a second shot made me think perhaps a .300 Mag , with a bullet of 165 to 180 grain might be a better choice. What if the bull was further away? What if it Ran , would I even get a second shot? I soon had another ( used ) Weatherby Mark V , in 300 Weatherby Mag. Hunted elk with it two years later ,in New Mexico , but I did not see anything I wanted to take, so that rifle still has never killed an elk. I really believe , when the time comes , it will be a good elk rifle. Lenny

Yeah, I have a .300 Wby Mag Mk V also. It weighs 10.5 lbs while the 7mm-08 weighs 6.8 with optics. But then that's not the subject thread I suppose. Actually my son has a 30-06 Remington 700 SS mountain sporter in laminate stock and Vortex Viper 4-16X44 HS-T with drop in turrets. He gets 2820 with 165 Gr bullet and it weighs about 7 Lbs. Might be a perfect Elk rig.

Yes , I Agree! That would Make a Great elk rig! Especially with today's excellent bullets! I'll bet he can deliver close to 2000 pounds of energy at 300 Yards ! Very nice !!

Yes , I Agree! That would Make a Great elk rig! Especially with today's excellent bullets! I'll bet he can deliver close to 2000 pounds of energy at 300 Yards ! Very nice !!

I just decided to load up some 200 gr Sierra gamekings in my 22 inch barreled 06 over RL-16. Wound up at 2685 ft/sec and according to JBM it would deliver ~2000ft/lbs to 500 yards anywhere at or above 5k ft/ASL. The 200 gr 30 cal and 175 gr 7mm have better form factors than the rest of the gamekings.

You don't want to be undergunned ! Every Expert knows Elk are tougher than a Bradley !

View attachment 195859
Everything is tougher than a Bradley. LAV 25s are tough! 2nd LAR OOH-RAH! 8 wheels of rolling thunder! And with a 25mm Chain-gun on stabes shooting 10th minute to 2k you will not be under gunned.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.