best long range elk gun

MY mistake i thought the 338 norma was based on the 308 norma in other words a 338/308 norma would be a real go gitter better known in usa as 338 Winchester magnum. so if you wat a huge case that is very long and can only use a long magnum if it workd for you that fine ,

338 WM is shorter than the 300 WM and has about 5 grains less capacity. I have both and the 338 is still a good one.

agree: but the short neck on the 300 win get into the powder pretty good. I think the 308 norma based on the 338 wing case will equal the 300 win. but no doube the 300 win will win out every time because it is a shooter. you can build many wildcats on the 338 win case not so with the 300 win neck is too short, however I will choose the 300 win over all 30 magnums.

Refer to my post #64 on 338NM, Case 2.5'' long.Heres one w/300 grn.Think its close to 4600lb at muzzel Its the338 win big brother

Attachments

• IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    732.3 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
300WM with 26" or 7mm remington with the same and a rifle that goes bang and one you like to shoot. the old 30/06 and 280 remington are used in my area in Montana.. the only short mag for elk is the 325 win. it is a very good tool when hand loaded.. the gun writer must think people are stupid the length of the cartridge is direct to the range of the weapon. why do yoou think the military replaced the 308 win with the 300 win for long range work..

The 338 NM has been adopted by branches of the military,Marines and Special Op's.US Gov, studied it in 2008

300WM with 26" or 7mm remington with the same and a rifle that goes bang and one you like to shoot. the old 30/06 and 280 remington are used in my area in Montana.. the only short mag for elk is the 325 win. it is a very good tool when hand loaded.. the gun writer must think people are stupid the length of the cartridge is direct to the range of the weapon. why do yoou think the military replaced the 308 win with the 300 win for long range work..

So...why did the military replace the 30-06 with the 308?

Last edited:
same reason they replaced the 308 with the 223 lighter smaller easy to carry .
"the gun writer must think people are stupid the length of the cartridge is direct to the range of the weapon."
OK...then why is the military moving to the 300 and 338 Norma for it's sniper rifles? They are both shorter than the 300 Win Mag.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.