best long range elk gun

Mausingfield Action 30moa rail, Timny trigger, 30" bull barrel from Shilen in 375 RUM. Trigicon Scope, H-S Precision Stock. Go BIG or go home.

sirs, what would you concider the besyt cartrige for long range elk hunting .also descried your choice of rifles and there design action barrel stock and scope.
My thoughts are 300 win built on a defiance tenacity action 26 inch benchmark barrel light palma 10 twist in a McMillan game hunter or htg stock and a jewell trigger and a leupold vx6 hd scope of choice kind of a budget build but it should get the job done very well

Prolly any rifle that will get a strong solid bullet of about 140-200 grs into the animal with 1200(ish) foot pounds of remaining energy at the range you hunt. Most guys go way over gunned IMO but better I suppose than too light. I like .270 Win (140 gr BTTSX), 7mm-08 (145 BLRX), 7 Rem mag (160 Federal Trophy Bonded), 308 Win (165 Sie Game Changer), 30-06 Springfield (165 BTTSX or Game Changer). I own all those in very light rifles. Furthest Elk shot was at 500 yds with 7mm Rem Mag.

If you are want an elk cartridge for 600+ yards then I think you are better off with something bigger like the 338 Lapua with a heavy bullet. There are many big cartridges that will work well.
I'm sure I could kill an elk with my 6.5 Creedmoor at 700 yards but I think it would be a poor choice when there are better options.

I'm going to favor the 338 Edge ! But I have the same set up in a 338 Rum also . Both have been almost identical!! My Elk this past fall ! 1244 yrds 300 gr Berger Elite Hunters at 2884 ft.per.sec. this edge has a 30 " proof barrel !
IMG953726.jpg

Like my 338 EDGE, am thinking of a 358/300RUM, have a 375 RUM and a 416/300 RUM. Now I have to go back and make a 300 RUM: chopped it and made a 308. I want the full set: 300, 338, 358, 375 & 416 That is a lot of RUM: great case to work with!
Holy Rum's !!
Sounds like you have a heck of a Rum Stash! I better start building to live up to my Name !

Rum Man

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.