Best long range 6.5mm/.264 caliber for hunting deer sized animals

Best 6.5/.264 caliber for long range deer

• Total voters
For a nonreloader 6.5 prc with the 147eldm (the old a-max bullit with the new heat shield tip) gets it done on eastern whitetails!

I own most of those. But my go to long range for deer is the 6.5-284. Flat shooting and easy to load for. I considered the new prc but it isn't enough different to warrant the expenses. Dies and brass a bit harder to come by. I buy 284 win and one pass through the sizing die and its good to go. Use those for practice and plinking. Then for my target use I use Norma Brass.

When it comes to long-range with Deer killing power, none of them beat the 6.5 Wby Mag (6.5-300 Wby) as for what would be my favorite, it not up here in the '70s I used a 6.5 Remington Mag and loved it, I know many of the ones here will equal its performance and accuracy, but... I never looked back'..., that cartridge is just plain super on Deer. Perhaps it's sentimental nostalgia. :) Of course, if I could get my hands on a Win Model 70 Pre 64 in .264 Win Mag with some life left in it I wouldn't turn it down, it's a great cartridge on long Deer shots, however, it's not a 6.5 Wby Mag.

6.5x55 with 135 Berger Classic Hunters at just over 2600fps has proven to me 3 times at 501, 520 and 522yrds. Why beat yourself up with recoil?

I choose a 6.5-284. I shoot 160 Matrix at 2,800 FPS using H1000 out of a 26" barrel. 0.3 MOA and devastating on elk.

I will make the move to the Berger 156 after my Matrix stockpile runs out.

Recent Posts