Best long range 6.5mm/.264 caliber for hunting deer sized animals

Best 6.5/.264 caliber for long range deer

• Total voters
I prefer the 6.5-06. It is faster than most of the 6.5s listed, but it isn't really a barrel burner. I can get 3025fps pushing 140 Bergers with a mid load- I don't have to push to the hot end. That gives me great numbers, and keeps me supersonic past 1500 yards. And donor brass is everywhere- 25-06, .270, 30-06, etc.

With the bullets getting heavier and heavier in the 6.5 lineup I'm thinking the 6.5 x 300 Weatherby Mag is becoming the ultimate option for long range hunting if you don't mind a break or the recoil without it. I think I saw bullets up to 160grains.

With the bullets getting heavier and heavier in the 6.5 lineup I'm thinking the 6.5 x 300 Weatherby Mag is becoming the ultimate option for long range hunting if you don't mind a break or the recoil without it. I think I saw bullets up to 160grains.
Matrix made a 160 at one time, prolly still do. I used them for a while but had mixed results on predators. Switched to the 147 ELD for wolf hunting and have killed 9 with them from 25 yards to 980. Every single one was DRT. I run 140's in the smaller cases like the creed but the bigger case like the PRC and 284 get the 147 generally.

My safe contains 2 6.5's (I know I've got a lot of catching up to do). One is a 6.5 Gibbs for the reaching out and touching needs, and the other is a 260 Remington (soon to become a 260 AI). The 260 is such a good all around caliber with so little recoil that it's hard to argue against it.
I have 5 right now and 3 extra barrels. I've built many more. Really like the 6.5 caliber. It's a do all for me....PRS comps to long range hunting. I like the low recoil for performance, its a nice blend.

The.264WM was always a great performing round. Its been the twist rate that's been a limiting factor in factory rifles now that the heavier more aerodynamic bullets have been developed. The new powders are also a great upgrade to this classic. If one cannot find new brass they only need to neck down and turn the necks of 7mm RM brass and that problem is solved. Myself I've never had issues with loading belted magnums, you just have to be careful to not move the shoulder back too far, when done correctly brass life isn't a huge issue either.
It would be nice if Winchester made their stainless all weather .264 with a barrel of 1/7.5 or 1/8 twist.
It will be interesting to see field reports if Berger's new 156gr bullet(in any of the 6.5 caliber's), they say 1/8 will work but I doubt that that is the optimal twist for that bullet. Thinking 1/7 -1/7.75 would be better.

The.264WM was always a great performing round. Its been the twist rate that's been a limiting factor in factory rifles now that the heavier more aerodynamic bullets have been developed. The new powders are also a great upgrade to this classic. If one cannot find new brass they only need to neck down and turn the necks of 7mm RM brass and that problem is solved. Myself I've never had issues with loading belted magnums, you just have to be careful to not move the shoulder back too far, when done correctly brass life isn't a huge issue either.
It would be nice if Winchester made their stainless all weather .264 with a barrel of 1/7.5 or 1/8 twist.
It will be interesting to see field reports if Berger's new 156gr bullet(in any of the 6.5 caliber's), they say 1/8 will work but I doubt that that is the optimal twist for that bullet. Thinking 1/7 -1/7.75 would be better.

Berger stability calc says its OK at 2650 at 1.57. at 2900 it's 1.62. The 7.5 puts 2900 at 1.84. I think the chambers that are able to push that bullet fast enough to take advantage of it will be fine. The 264WM being one. I doubt I'll run them. The BC vs the slower speed winds up favoring a lighter bullet in smaller cartridges like the PRC, 284, creed, etc.