Best long range 6.5mm/.264 caliber for hunting deer sized animals

Best 6.5/.264 caliber for long range deer

• Total voters
The 6.5-284 is just a great cartridge. There are so many great bullets you can reload to obtain remarkable accuracy and terminal ballistics.

How hard are you running a 6.5CM to push a 140 @ 2950?
With rl-26, that's perfectly safe. That's a full grain below what I maxed out with and never actually pressured out because I ran out of room in the case without a drop tube. In Peterson brass or ADG I cant get those velocities due to less capacity. On average I lose 90 fps over my loads in hornady brass. I'll eventually go back to hornady when my other stuff is used up.

Got it. I don't run RL26 in anything any more. I find it is like RL22, and it gets hot when temps hit 85*+. When hunting temps can run from below zero to 115+, I can't use it. If it stays below 85*, it works awesome.

6.5-284 using 137 grain Hammer bullets with a stout load of RL17 pushing the bullet at just under 3,000 fps and you've got a leathal combination to take deer at almost any range.

Last edited:
264 win gets my vote. Good options for brass, 3200 is doable with a 140, or you can load mild to around 3000. A tier faster than the 284 or PRC, without being super overbore like the more or 6.5-300 Weatherby. My other vote would have been 6.5/257 Weatherby.