Best load for a 22" 30-06

Looking at 125's or 150's for Doe (gonna have to bring a smaller rifle or go down to 110's or something if I get antelope tags this year), think that's wise? 165 just seems like it might OP on a big mulie doe here.
I had my o6's out to Montana a couple of times and stuck with the 165's for everything.Mule deer[buck and does],antelope,coyotes even prairie dogs.Wasn't much left of the prairie dogs

Just got done going through this last night with a 30 yr old 22" rem adl that they called their mountain rifle that has a pencil thin barrel. This rifle doesn't have maybe 300 rounds through it and has been pretty much playing safe queen. Started 2 weeks ago, had quite a bit of IMR 4350 and no H4350. So I used the IMR4350.

After loading 2 sets of ladder tests that were the same I ran them through my magnetospeed at 400 yds, then I loaded up 2 groups of three and ran for group accuracy at 200 yds. with charge that showed potential from the 2 ladder tests. One group was 1.1 MOA (had a flyer or a driver malfunction) and one was .4 MOA.

This was using berger 168 classic hunters, lit with fed 210M primers.

Next thing is to stretch it out to at least 700 yds and we'll see what I can do with that pencil thin barrel at distances. Can't expect too much from a 8 lb fully dressed setup.

I just wish I had had some H4350 and was this far along - but that's just because of personal preference.

I ended up having to push them pretty hard to get much velocity but am not showing any pressure signs at 70 degrees outside temp at 3500 ft elevation.

4350 will pretty much fill up an '06 case to get any velocity out of it.

My last IMR run was pretty unimpressive. Expected to see best accuracy (in .2 grain increments, 5 shot groups) from 53-56 grains and only got about half way done before I was rained out. Seemed to run best at 54.6 and 53.4. Ugh. Might have to repeat. No chrono. Only shooting ~1.5 MOA with that. 1:10 barrel@22"... afraid I might not be getting the velocity I need.

If anyone can ever find varget ever again! haha. I'm pretty confident I'll be okay with the H or IMR4350 I have, just gotta keep messing with my loads. If not, I've got a .270, a .243, and a .300WM I need to load for hahah

I would say a moderately fast powder would work fine for the .30-06....Like Reloder 17.

I use 7828 SSC in my .30-06 AI, but I'm also pushing 185 Berger VLD's at near max velocities, and just barely on the safe side of max chamber pressures. But I should be getting almost 2,900 fps. :D

Yeah just think that the burn rate might be too slow with the shorter barrel. Oh well, I'll keep on chugging with L/D. Need to go to a ptrepared range one of these days lol

I would not think there would be an issue getting a complete powder burn if you are using R-17, H4350, IMR 4350. The IMR and H have been utilized in this capacity for decades. Maybe one of the fine gentlemen with Quickload would be willing to plug the data and respond to clear that up definitively.
A friend of mine likes to use R-15 or 4064 in his .30/06 as a backup to the seemingly unavailable Varget. He likes those faster powders because they work well in his 308 as well. IIRC, he runs right at 50g Varget with a 165 Nosler BT in his .30/06. Personally, I favor a greater case fill than that. For him it's based on the logistics of only using one powder and one bullet for his 308 and .30/06.

I just went through this with a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 with a 24 inch tube. 55.5 grains H4350 pushing a 168 grain TTSX slightly outperformed IMR4350 in accuracy and significantly beat IMR4064. Velocity clocked in at 2825ish fps.

H4350 has less load density than IMR4350 so I'm glad it worked out the way it did...I don't like to shoot loads too heavily compressed.

I just went through this with a Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 with a 24 inch tube. 55.5 grains H4350 pushing a 168 grain TTSX slightly outperformed IMR4350 in accuracy and significantly beat IMR4064. Velocity clocked in at 2825ish fps.

H4350 has less load density than IMR4350 so I'm glad it worked out the way it did...I don't like to shoot loads too heavily compressed.

Understood. Just still concerned that the burn rate is too low for the 2" less barrel. Got another few pounds to dick with for load development though, just need time to test my loads.

Hrm, the tube didn't care much for the IMR (best group I got was over an inch @100 yards, shoots half that factory). Next up is H4350 and if I can find it 4064.

Some will, some won't... It's a crap-shoot. For example, everyone kept telling me to get Retumbo and I'd never look back.... That stuff wouldn't shoot a 2" group @ 100 yards out of any of my 7mm RemMags.

Not to mention how my established H1000 load groups turned out once it got hotter...Looked like a shotgun with buckshot @ 100 yards. :rolleyes:

H1000 ain't temp sensative.......My a**!

Retumbo is the most universal magnum powder out there.............Yeah, okay... :rolleyes:

But it's a crap-shoot....You gotta find what it likes. Your's being a short barreled '06 probably would prefer something faster like Reloder 15 or Reloder 17....Hell, I'd even give Varget a try.

Grafs has Norma URP in stock. You may enjoy that in your rifle as much as I enjoy it in mine. Load data is posted on their site. YMMV

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.