Best lite LR scope

Topshot

Looking at getting a new scope for a rifle that will be used for back packing hunts.
Needs to be lite weight and have reliable turret adjustments so that I can dial up to shoot out to 1K maximum.
Want 1/4 MOA adjustments. I also prefer exposed type turrets if possible.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
When weight is a major consideration Leupolds are hard to beat. M1 knobs can be added to most higher end models. It allows you to custom configure something to your needs. I have a 6.5-20X40mm LR with M1 turrets. To do it over, I'd only get the elevation and not both turrets. This scope has been on a carry weight rifle it's whole life and has kills from 30 yards to all but 400.

There are a lot of fine scopes out there now but there is not much difference in the weight
of the lighter scopes, so I would recomend the Leupolds for the features.

I would go with something like the 4.5x14x40 VX3L because it weighs 15.1oz, has a 30mm
tube, side focus,and is short and compact.

I would also get a M1 turret for the elevation only, as Gene recomended.

14 power is my favorite magnification of all the scopes I have and the most usable for
all types of hunting.

If you want more light gathering the 50 mm objectives add only around 1/2 of an oz (16.5oz
overall weight compared to 15.1 of the 40mm).

Just a recommendation.

J E CUSTOM

Topshot, I'm with JE on this one. I put that same scope on my 300 WM pack rifle a couple of years ago and it's a nice setup. Mine is the older version VX-III 4.5x14x40 LR with the B&C reticle. I wanted a accurate scope without a lot of extra weight and have been very happy with it. I haven't added the M1 turret yet, but may eventually.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts