Best lightweight sleeping bag for the money

I think you had it right when you were considering synthetic. Lots of people disagree with me but with synthetic you can climb in with wet clothes and even boots and dry out over night. When it is below freezing all day that is the only way to dry yourself and your gear outother than sittyby a fire. In a down bag even treated down the down absorbs more and more moisture each night and loses more and more warmth.

Check out montbell. They do synthetic and down of various fill powers. So plenty of variability on budget. I have an 800 fill down 30 and 15 degree and love them with the stretch feature. If you struggle with the burrito effect with mummy bags, you will like the roomy-ness of these.

hard to beat a Western Mountaineering bag. Yes they are more $$ than other but they are top quality and that extra 50-100 bucks over the life of the bag is 10 bucks a year. I got friends that run the quilts, hell I would run one in September. Not in October tho.

Just got back from North Central Washington State where I was camping at 7k feet in around 10F weather. Took my 20F MacPac Escapade 700 and a SeaToSummit liner. Was plenty warm overnight. Without the liner, I would definitely want a warmer bag.

I have a Nemo 20 degree bag. Last week when I woke up temps were just under 30 degrees and I was in my underwear I was so hot. The bag I have is for side sleepers and has extra room to roll around a little. Had it car camping in 10 degree weather and had a bag liner I used with long underwear and a hoodie and I was toasty all night

I have a synthetic 20 degree north face bag. Had it out over night in the dirt (40mph winds prevented setting the hot tent up) and got rained on. Could've dried it out in some cold wind the next day. Guy with me had a down and I was surprised to see his no worse than mine in terms of how wet it got, as well as how fast it dried. Following as I'll be in the market next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.