Best lightweight sleeping bag for the money

The more replies i get and research i do, i believe im going to get a 0° down bag. Probably going on our hunt the last 2 weeks of September and no since of taking the chance of getting cold i can always open it up. I appreciate the replies.

LOL, I started off trying to carry the lightest stuff possible but very quickly started packing my 0* bag if the Temps were forcast to be under 35* at night. I don't enjoy sleeping in 4 layers of clothes in a mummy bag

I spent a lot of time camping in the cold, a bag under 20 degrees and better a 0 degree is better I used a timberline tent, good for four seasons light and tough, I put a emergency blanket under the tent, half inch foam pad down under the bag, if it was really cold I used a candle light made for camping and left the top end flaps open carbon monoxide is a killer, but like has been mentioned, what works for me may be too much or not enough for you, so before you go and by the way good luck ask questions about the weather out there always prepare for the worst, and if it turns out to be fifty out then that is ok too

I have had a dozen or more backpacking and mountaineering sleeping bags over the last 35 years. I still have my first down bag, an American made bag from REI that is 30-years old.

I've done several imported synthetic and down bags since, trashed after a few uses.

about 4 seasons ago I bought a custom quilt for hunting. I am so happy with the quilt. I don't get claustrophobic and it is versatile in a wider temp range than a bag.

my custom quilt (lis by VIAMoutdoors.com
My hunting buddies both went with down quilts from Enlightened Equipment.
the Kifuru stuff I own is top notch, I would feel good about buying anything from them.,

@Sugar Shane i found a lot of good information on using quilts on various hammock camping forums. Might be some good key words to add to your Google searches for info if you're anything like the over-compulsive researcher that I am lol

I ALWAYS USEDXA DOWN BAG, A WOOL ARMY BLANKET AND A TARP. NO TENT.
LAY TARP DOWN, LAY BLANKET DOWN , LAY SLEEPING BAG DOWN, CRAWL IN AND PUĹL HALF OF TARP AND BLANKET OVER.
IVE WAKENED WITH 6 INCHES OF SNOW OVER ME AND NEVER KNEW IT.

I've hunted 1st rifle at about 9K ft for the past 15 yrs. Season usually starts the 2nd weekend in October and the overnight temps range from low 30s to single digits. Last year it got down to -9 one night but that was once in 15 years and we were near Craig, CO about 10 miles from the WY border. We were in a canvas tent with a stove and -10 bags so it wasn't too bad. I usually hunt near Gunnison/Salida and the temps are considerably warmer down there. I would recommend a zero degree down bag and be very weary of overexerting yourself at high altitude. I've had altitude sickness ruin a few hunts for friends from sea level over the years.

one of the best bags for the money is the REI Co-Op. I have one of their 30 deg bags and its great.

one other thing to look at when looking at bags is the size. I tend to toss and turn while i sleep and like a roomier bag. A lot of the nicer backpacking bags are pretty small and tight in the shoulders. I also am a fan of the quilts as well. Another thing to look at for backpacking is your sleeping pad. insulated vs non-insulated will do a lot to help

I am definitely the wrong person to give advice on this area because I can get by with $30 ~1.5 lbs 50F rated sleeping bag in 0F and less with various layerings. As the Kifaru noted, the warmth rating can be subjective, it depends if you are a cold or hot sleeper. My hunting buddies call me Eskimo Ed. 😇

There is plenty of amazing stuff out there nowadays, it is just a matter of how much an end-user is willing and able to spend for their comfort, purpose, and weight to warmth carry ratio. Good luck!

The more replies i get and research i do, i believe im going to get a 0° down bag. Probably going on our hunt the last 2 weeks of September and no since of taking the chance of getting cold i can always open it up. I appreciate the replies.

Good call, it sucks being cold and having to wear layers in a mummy bag. Mine weighs 2 lbs and don't even notice it.

I've got 40 years of very active Boy Scouting and hunting under my belt. We've always had down bags- nothing beats the warmth to weight ratio of down. I've not ever had a problem with them getting wet because I take care when pitching my tent or shelter. I have 3 down bags- 2 of them 30 years old. A NF Blue Kazoo 20deg, a Marmot 0deg, and about 7 years ago I got a used NF Inferno -20 deg bag (and yes I've spent many a night in sub zero temps). If I'm summer or warm weather camping a take the 20deg bag and often just unzip it and use it like a blanket.

If I know the weather is going to be really snotty- or if I'm tenting in someone else's shelter I take along a Gore-Tex cover from a military ECWS bag system. It's a basic weather tight bivy- weighs 2lbs. I stuff my down bag in there and I could care a less if the shelter leaks. In fact I bought two of these 3 bag sets, saved the Gore-Tex bivy's and sold the other components and maybe, MAYBE have $20 in the Gore-Tex bags. What a deal.

The best thing you can do- if possible, is air out your bag in the sunshine as soon as you can. Obviously don't drape it over a pine branch unless you like pine sap on your sleeping bag (a few young Scouts have learned that the hard way), but find some scrub bushes and get it off the ground.

sZ93K48.jpg

Hello all. Update on my sleeping bag quandary. With imput and research ive decided to go with an Outdoor Vitals 0° quilt. The reviews are awesome and the price is just as good. Now heres my dilemma, they offer a a traditional down quilt that weighs in at 1 pound 12 oz or a synthetic down hybrid that weighs in at 2 pounds 8 ozs. 30$ diffrence in price with the hybrid being cheaper. I know ounces equals pounds in the backpack hunting world both are treated to repel water and moisture but the hybrid drys quicker and will maintain its loft when wet. Any recommendations?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts