Best lightweight sleeping bag for the money

Sugar Shane

Hello all. Im planning on a DIY archery elk hunt next fall in Colorado, and im shoping for a lightweight synthetic down sleeping bag around the 20° mark. I know there are alot to choose from but im trying not to brake the bank. I appreciate the insight

Any reason you're looking specifically for a synthetic? Real down is lighter and warmer, and with the coatings tge put on it it's almost as uneffected by moisture.

I have a couple that I've purchased from rei garage sales for under $150 each that are extremely nice bags. My 20* bag is around 1lb if remember right, and it packs down to the size of a grapefruit.

Not sure if you know this or not, but the temperature rating on sleeping bags are survival temp, not comfort temp. If it's going to be below freezing at night you might want a warmer bag

Last edited:
Thats good info. The main reason i was swaying toward synthetic was because of its quick drying properties. It sounds like regular down may be the way to go. Wow if you have a 20° bag around a pound id sure like to now what bag that is. Thanks for the info

Thats good info. The main reason i was swaying toward synthetic was because of its quick drying properties. It sounds like regular down may be the way to go. Wow if you have a 20° bag around a pound id sure like to now what bag that is. Thanks for the info

I'll get the info when for you when I get home.

I also always keep mine in a compression dry bag to make sure it doesn't get wet

Mine's a marmot arroyo. 26oz. It's classed as a 30* bag, but is as warm as my 20* bags. My wife has a nemo brand one that's pretty similar

Last edited:
I prefer quilts — both Katabatic and Enlightened Equipment are fantastic. I prefer the Katabatic, if you can swing it.

For more standard sleeping bags, you have a ton of options. Strictly on the budget side, Kelty and Sierra Designs have some options. Nemo would be the first company I'd look at though.

I have started using a quilt. So far I like it real well. Easy to pack and seems to work quiet well. My sleeping pad is one that is down filled. The pad itself is quite warm. I haven't used my setup in real cold weather yet. Probably not much colder than 35 degrees. But I can guarantee you if it's going to be cold I'm going to have some kind of wood stove. This old body don't take things as well as it use to.

Bag: Ledge Sports Featherlite, 24oz fill, 2lbs complete, 20°F rating. $50
Klymit Static inflatable sleeping pad, 18oz, $30
I bring a thermal bag used on lifeboats. The bag and pad slip inside it. In a pinch, don't need a tent, but the dew in the morning can be pretty heavy.
The combo with thermals comfortably takes me down to 0°F, snow camping.
Ledge is out of Tooele, UT. Their stuff is heavier than "better quality" bags, but it sure works. Mine is getting on 12 years old, still fluffs up nicely.

You are probably borderline in the archery season with a 20 degree bag, but should be fine. I had a kelty cosmic down 20 for 1st rifle a couple years ago and i froze, temps in the single digits at 9 to 10k ft. Last fall for 2nd rifle i took a nemo sonic down 0 and i was warm. I got the nemo on sale for 285, its a really nice bag and small and light. I also bought a klymit ksb down 0 and returned it, wasnt impressed by the amount of fill. Definitely go with a down bag, they are so much smaller and lighter.

The more replies i get and research i do, i believe im going to get a 0° down bag. Probably going on our hunt the last 2 weeks of September and no since of taking the chance of getting cold i can always open it up. I appreciate the replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.