Best Lightweight savage stock?

Ryan Venema

I am getting ready to build out a savage SA I have. Planning on going light with it. Proof barrel, leaning towards a 308, but my question is, are there any lighter stocks than a B&C? I have one on my 6.5 and it still has some decent weight to it.
Thank you.

So probably not what you are expecting but I picked up the XLR element 3 in magnesium with the CF butt stock and it's 28oz as advertised.

Not a std hunting stock but is pretty good hybrid option and almost as light as most of the higher end hunting stocks. As a bonus it folds losing about 14" for a few extra $$ and a small weight penalty.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• 31F9469B-6C11-40A9-80BF-5FEE85186AF0.jpeg
    31F9469B-6C11-40A9-80BF-5FEE85186AF0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 119
I have heard good things about the XLR magnesium chassis from a couple people now, I would not hesitate to get one if you wanted a chassis.

If you want a more traditional stock, a McMillan with the edgetech fill, or a Manners EH series stock would work as well, and depending on the stock, could be as light as the mid 20 oz range. Though, with savage being a royal PITA with them changing things like bottom metal, bolt release, center/stagger feed, etc. every 5 minutes, you would want to call and talk with either of them on the phone in detail prior to ordering, so they can make sure to get the inletting perfect. May be a good idea to have a set of calipers ready to measure things and answer their questions.

My cousin got a McMillan A3 in McWoody color for a 110 Trophy Hunter xp (bottom bolt release, centerfeed dbm), and it came out fantastic.

I will second the XLR magnesium. I went with a LUTH-AR stock on mine to get a little weight in the rear to balance the rifle out. When I built my rifle, I searched the lightweight stock options. But, by the time you bought the stock, and bottom metal, you're at the same price as a complete chassis, and the same weight. Now I don't have an ultra light traditional stock so this is just a guess here , but I don't think they can compete with the stiffness/rigidity of the chassis, or the modularity.

This might not be important to you, but like Tahoe said above, you can get a folder option, and I can even shorten mine up enough that my 5 year old daughter can look through the scope. If it wasn't a .300 mag I'd let her shoot it! (She has shot my .308 with 125's and loved it!!)

I'd definitely go McMillan Game hunter again in edge fill. About 7-800 bucks complete and 26-30 oz complete. Absolutely rigid with a great fit. If you want adjusting cheekpiece add weight and cost to that.
Pricey and long wait usually but worth it in some cases. Not many savage cutting edge options out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.