Best Lead Free Bullet

pontoon

I have to use lead free since I'm in a certain part of California. All this talk of BC over .6 makes me jealous... The best bullets I've found so far in lead free are under .5. What's the best lead free bullet/caliber for general game such as deer, maybe wild boar, maybe elk, maybe coyote.

I just got the rifle and have been shooting leaded bullets. I have a box of Hornady Superformance 130gr GMX and Nosler trophy grade e tip 130gr. Basically I'm asking so I can learn what lead free options exist and either use what I have, hand load for the gun I have, or switch calipers (and probably hand load).

Here is some comparative info:

.460 BC .270 @ about 3200fps 130 gr Hornady superformance GMX factory ammo
yards | fps| energy | trajectory | come up MOA
1000 1853 991 -206.1 19.7

.59 BC .270 @ about 3090fps 140gr cutting edge bullets hypothetical handload
1000 2034 1287 -198 18.9

.6 BC 6.5 SAUM @ about 3250fps 140gr cutting edge bullets hypothetical handload
1000 2175 1470 -186.5 17.8

The 6.5 SAUM is better, and it has the advantage of being a short action (lighter weight), but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. Apparently the 270 has enough velocity to do the job at 1000 yards, no clue how flat those trajectories are (don't know what's considered good). The upside of the 270 is I already have it and there are lots of options out there.

I bought some cutting edge 100 grain for my 257 bee and couldn't get them to shoot anywhere close too the Barnes 100ttsx.The Barnes were prety much touching with the first load we tried.This will be my California gun and deer sized game out of state.Havent tried them on game yet but hoping for the best.

gun)
I bought some cutting edge 100 grain for my 257 bee and couldn't get them to shoot anywhere close too the Barnes 100ttsx.The Barnes were prety much touching with the first load we tried.This will be my California gun and deer sized game out of state.Havent tried them on game yet but hoping for the best.
I prefer Barnes , I tried them all. The Berger bullets are Lead -core? I use the 130 grain ttsx with my .270 win. improve and get very good results.

Cutting edge are what I choose. I really liked Barnes but man those cutting edge have performed so much better on game for me. That being said you have to get them to shoot. I have b en extremely lucky and got all mine to shoot amazing in the first ladder. But every gun is different as we all know so some may not like them just like some guns don't like Berger. As for performance I feel there is no better than cutting edge. It is very noticeable.

I had a 270 win with a 1:8 twist.

I got the 140 gr .277 MTH. Only took six bullets and development was done. At a buck a bullet I was glad. Not sure the velocity but they shot pretty good.

That's about my experience to very quick to get great groups. Then I just go till groups open or get pressure signs. Usually groups don't open up till way to hot.

Do you know what twist your barrel is? What elevation are you shooting at? I think we can get you running.

Steve

The issue your going to find is the cutting edge 270 bullets are way of the mark with BC, if you compare published BC with Litz numbers on the 120 and 130 there way of. I've shot the 140 CE in a 6.5 and you will get more range.
I would definitely talk to Steve at Hammer bullets, very accurate shooting and very easy to tune from the ones I've shot, probably your best bet for a 270 cal.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.