Best laser rangefinder around $500...

I need everyone's help here. Looking for real world experience hunting. I want to find a rangefinder that actually works on game out to 1000 yards. I had a Vortex ranger 1000 and a Sig 2000, both fell short and could not get ranges past 500 yards consistently... Saw the new Vortex Razor 4000 and wonder if it actually works? Also been considering the Leica CRF 2400-R Rangemaster. Any help is appreciated.
Hey Defiance7mm -

I cannot attest to it's accuracy on game yet, but about 3 weeks ago i bought a Leica 2400-R. Just haven't had time to get out into the field with it...

As everyone says, the optics are absolutely stunning. Have you *ever* heard anyone complain about Leica optics? Yeah, me neither... That's because they are the best - they're what every other rangefinder is measured against. For a reason. Others are very good - no doubt to that. But to my tired old eyes, the Leica view stands above the competitors.

Incidentally, it has taken a while for this ministry worker to save up for the purchase so i don't mean to exude snobbery...far from it!!!

As to actual ranging performance the unit is very fast though i've limited experience with consciously evaluating how much time was needed. Honestly, if i'm ranging for engagement a second or two from a faster unit probably won't make a difference.

I was able to range a building @ 1,911 yds and other things as well, but that was the farthest to date. From bright sunlight conditions to early morning, the unit has done an amazing job in the easy conditions i'm using it in.

So, for ~$500 I am absolutely pleased with it.

Every time i look through the device reinforces the confidence in and pleasure with using it.

Thank you everyone for all your input! I still don't know what I'm going to get, but the 2 front runners are the Leica 2400 or the Leupold 2800... I'd love a G7, but don't think they give MIL corrections, and I'm not swapping all my scopes.

And here we are: Couldn't get to the exact same spot as originally tested, but this from the Nikon 4000 should suffice. The other is from the trusty Vectronix Terrapin (original). IMG_1863.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1871.JPG
    IMG_1871.JPG
    523.5 KB · Views: 261
Been hearing good stuff on the BUSHNELL ARC 1300 and have one arriving today I hope.

Will be at our lease over the weekend and will be testing.

Been hearing good stuff on the BUSHNELL ARC 1300 and have one arriving today I hope.

Will be at our lease over the weekend and will be testing.

I bet it works great for ya. I know their bushnell elite 1 mile conx is awesome. I've ranged elk at 1300 and rocks on a hillside at 15 and 1700.

I dont have a lot of experience with other rangefinders but i did just pick up the new Vortex Razor HD 4000 & I absolutely love this rangefinder. Very nice glass compared to the Swarovski i had. It has no issues at all picking up trees or rocks at 1900yds furthest i have ranged so far. Have picked up some horses around 500 yards but other then that i have not had a chance to try range animals with it yet. It is also very quick with giving the range also compared to the swarovski rangefinder i had. My old pair is a Swarovski 8x30 1500 laser guide. I am very impressed with the new Vortex Rangefinder.

I've been skeptical of Nikon, but seems like you are seeing good results for sure

I'll second the Nikon Black X4000. Mine performs flawlessly. Very fast, helps if you can't steady it very well because of using one hand or whatever. Worth every penny. And it will easily range non-reflective targets out to 1800 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.