Best known BC for 180 grain 30 cal hunting bullet

By using the Berger Calculator you can derive some information without buying a couple of new barrels to test.

This chamber was cut to 3.850" which can be used in my longest DBM system. It's also tested at the very upper end of velocity and at my altitude. The temperature is Berger standard but can changed to reflect your shooting temperature.

1675763318273.png

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

There are a couple of other calculators available online in case you you want to try something a little different.

Enjoy!

:)

I have three different loads for the 300WBY.
180 grn Nosler AB or BT with IMR4350
200 grn Nosler AB or PT with RL22
180 grn Barnes TSX with IMR 7828
Killed many animals with the first two, have not hunted with the last one yet, but gives me the smallest group

I prefer the Badlands BD2 bullet for hunting but anything over the 150 gr. or 175 gr. will require a serious look at a new reamer and twist rate. Since I use the 195 gr. I reworked a reamer specifically for it. Don't believe the 1:10" twist unless you're hunting in the mountains and in warmer weather. It will be 'stable' but you will give up BC. Use the Berger calculator. Also ask the folks at Badlands about getting some advice, nice folks!
The Berger stability calculator is great for Berger bullets because they don't have a tip. It's not accurate for any bullet with a plastic/aluminum or tip that isn't the same density as the rest of the bullet.

The jbm calculator has an input for tip length. They assume plastic, so it's not dead on for aluminum, but it's a lot closer than lead.

I load my .300Wby 180Partitions to 3050 with IMR4350. Works for me.

Attachments

• .300 weatherby.jpg
    .300 weatherby.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 41
  • 10 pt  Michigan .JPG
    10 pt Michigan .JPG
    491.8 KB · Views: 40
  • .300 weatherby 002.jpg
    .300 weatherby 002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
Isn't then High bc is kind of irrelevant if the impact velocity has to be so high due to the all copper construction ?
They are claimed to expand down to 1600fps.
they are a fracturing round at high velocity but just expand and peel back like a Barnes at lower velocities.

But they are irrelevant to this discussion with an 11 twist barrel.

ferenc,

I'm very late to this party, but in this group……. the term "hunting bullet" covers a very broad spectrum!

What works great @ 1000 may "suck eggs" @ near point blank into heavy muscle and or bone! 🤔

IMO, my very biased opinion, we need to accurately determine your exact expectations and limitations for your "hunting" bullet! memtb

Thank you. Honestly I completely forgot about this tread. I ended up shooting Norma bondstrike bullets and I'm rather happy with them. On the other hand, Hornady Eld-x bullets, at least in 6.5 mm variety, did not hold up too well even at creedmoor speeds when I was unexpectedly presented with a 70 yds shot. So I guess BC is not everything…