Best hunting scope

Since you asked about the best lighter weight hunting scope that would dial out to 1000 yards. It would also need to be best in low light and where optical contrast makes a huge difference.

The Swarovski Z8i in the 2.3x18x56 with a BFT turrets and a 4W-I reticle is the best I have used so far. This scope set on 25 MOA base and rings will allow for dialing out to 1000 as long as the caliber ballistics are in that 3000+ fps range and bullets with a BC close to 500 or better are used.

This is the best I have seen so far for what you are looking to do with it. I have hunted with most of the previously mentioned suggestions as well. For what it's worth I have 5 of these on different hunting rifles and they perform flawlessly.

Last edited:
Agreed. Did a lot of research (with with cost as a factor) and landed on the NX8. Still spent plenty, but the weight/durability/clarity is excellent. Very happy with this choice. Connatter you would not second guess this choice once you had it in hand.
I am looking at that one pretty hard, which power did you get?

Since you asked about the best lighter weight hunting scope that would dial out to 1000 yards. It would also need to be best in low light and where optical contrast makes a huge difference.

The Swarovski Z8i in the 2.3x18x56 with a BFT turrets and a 4W-I reticle is the best I have used so far. This scope set on 25 MOA base and rings will allow for dialing out to 1000 as long as the caliber ballistics are in that 3000+ fps range and bullets with a BC close to 500 or better are used.

This is the best I have seen so far for what you are looking to do with it. I have hunted with most of the previously mentioned suggestions as well. For what it's worth I have 5 of these on different hunting rifles and they perform flawlessly.
Thanks I will take a look at this one

The secondary or follow up question will be…

Is the tangent really that much better and worth the extra $?

*** In this sport there are two types of long range hunters! The ones who want all the information given to them. Then ones who dedicate their time to get the information, then go out and Do.
Yes, spoon feeding gets old!

Agreed. Did a lot of research (with with cost as a factor) and landed on the NX8. Still spent plenty, but the weight/durability/clarity is excellent. Very happy with this choice. Connatter you would not second guess this choice once you had it in hand.
I went nightforce also, atacr and 2 nxs. Many good choices out there these were my choices after doing lots of comparisons.
The extra weight is worth the ruggedness for me.

I will be using the scope for hunting and shooting steel , load development as well