Best Hunting partner

Jeff Floyd

Oct. 17, my wife Carla Floyd and myself along with our brother Tom headed out to one of our favorite hunting spots. It was the last day for Cow elk so we figured since we had seen cows in this area a few days before that we might get a shot at one.

We set up with our Remington Sendero 300 Ultra Mag. Loaded with 210 grain Sierra MatchKing bullets and 90 grains of H1000 powder behind it. It was early in the morning so we took readings with our Kestrel and set our dope into the BulletFlight M app. Once we got all the readings and setting we began our scouting with our Leupold HD binoculars. When all of the sudden some cows started showing up in the field about 230 yards. Tom started ranging with our Swarovski, the cows when all of the sudden a nice bull showed up and they headed to the tree line and disappeared.

I was watching the hill side and Carla was getting setup behind the Nightforce NXS scope watching for the bull to show up on the hillside. We all spotted him and Tom was calling yardage as Carla was figuring the right MOA for the shot. She dailed in for an 800 yard shot had him in the crosshairs and I wasbehind the Leupold Goldring Spotting scope and told her to send it and she hit him with a perfect shot spun around and then crumpled and was down! Now the work begins!

Carla and I still enjoy hunting together after 32 years of marrriage we are the best hunting partners!

4F286E32-1A07-468D-B840-1044F9177647.jpeg

You're a lucky man!
Thanks,
Yes I am, We've been married 32 years she has been my hunting partner for 32 years.

To top that all off you know the way she shoots never to get her mad. It is a special feeling hunting with your wife and seeing her take an animal with one shot. Congrats to both of you and may you enjoy another 32 years together.

Perfect!!! I am very envious!!:)

Dumb question though....why would you need to range elk at 200 yards? Sighted at 100, 200 or 300 yards it is a point and shoot proposition on an elk at 200ish yards.

Last day of cow elk season and she killed a bull ? I'm guessing both were in season and she had a pocket full of tags ?

Perfect!!! I am very envious!!:)

Dumb question though....why would you need to range elk at 200 yards? Sighted at 100, 200 or 300 yards it is a point and shoot proposition on an elk at 200ish yards.
We saw the bull at 200 yards, but had to wait tell it got past the tree line and up the hill, the shot was taken at 800 yards.

Jeff, Congratulations to the both of you, and especially to your wife on her successful hunts. My wife and I have been hunting together since 1989 (her first bear). She's a very accomplished shooter, but has taken game only out to 400 yards. I'm confident she could go farther, and may if all the conditions are right. My wife also uses a .338....though it is the original! ;) memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.