Best Hunting bullet for mid range distance - 7mm SAUM

cb4128

I'm helping a buddy build a mid-range all around mountain rifle in 7mm SAUM. Trying to get some real world feedback on bullet performance on mule deer, elk, sheep, antelope, bear etc.

I know we can get the bergers to shoot well, but not sure on their performance on big game - looking at the 168 vld's or 175 elites.

Also considering the 162gr hornady ELDX, 175gr ELDX and 160gr Nosler Accubonds.

Planning to run them in the normal velocity range of 2,750-2,950 fps, depending on the bullet, powder, etc.

Any feedback on these bullets and their performance on big game would be really helpful!

my wifes 7RSAUM is slinging the 155 Hammer hunter into one ragged hole and its freaking deadly on whitetails so far and im going to try the 140 absolute hammer out of its 20" barrel suppressed .. these are what i would shoot if intent is for 0-700 yards or so
what he said

I have a friend in Alaska that kills an absolute pile of animals with the 175 ELX out of his 7 WSM. It should work well for everything you're looking to do.

I'm in the same boat, planning to build a short and light 7saum or 7max. I've been thinking about using Berger 175 EH or 180 hybrid, but the Hammers that Elk Hunter suggested sound like great ideas. That might also work better with short action OAL restrictions

I'm in the same boat, planning to build a short and light 7saum or 7max. I've been thinking about using Berger 175 EH or 180 hybrid, but the Hammers that Elk Hunter suggested sound like great ideas. That might also work better with short action OAL restrictions
they flat rip up game!!! my son shot his first deer this year with the 155 @ 200 yards bullet entered center shoulder quartering too slightly and shank exited mid body off side, 4 petals were lodged in rib cage off side perfect performance

they flat rip up game!!! my son shot his first deer this year with the 155 @ 200 yards bullet entered center shoulder quartering too slightly and shank exited mid body off side, 4 petals were lodged in rib cage off side perfect performance
What twist rate would you recommend for the 155s that would also be good for say a 180 berger? And what's your bottom metal setup in that gun? I can't decide if I want to go with a standard short action or a XM length action.

What twist rate would you recommend for the 155s that would also be good for say a 180 berger? And what's your bottom metal setup in that gun? I can't decide if I want to go with a standard short action or a XM length action.
its on a defiance Medium AKA SA wyatts cut 9 twist bart barrel.. its short barreled for a reason and im not going to be slinging anything over 160 in it ever!! the box says 8.75 i would do a 8.5 ... if your never gonna shoot the heavies then there isnt a real benefit to over spinning IMO .. I've shot thousands of the 180 hybrid and vld in all kids of 7mm's in 9 twist barrels and the 195 without any problem in accuracy! they are stupid easy to tune also!!

my wifes 7RSAUM is slinging the 155 Hammer hunter into one ragged hole and its freaking deadly on whitetails so far and im going to try the 140 absolute hammer out of its 20" barrel suppressed .. these are what i would shoot if intent is for 0-700 yards or so
I'm helping a buddy build a mid-range all around mountain rifle in 7mm SAUM. Trying to get some real world feedback on bullet performance on mule deer, elk, sheep, antelope, bear etc.

I know we can get the bergers to shoot well, but not sure on their performance on big game - looking at the 168 vld's or 175 elites.

Also considering the 162gr hornady ELDX, 175gr ELDX and 160gr Nosler Accubonds.

Planning to run them in the normal velocity range of 2,750-2,950 fps, depending on the bullet, powder, etc.

Any feedback on these bullets and their performance on big game would be really helpful!
I use 150ttsx works great

Recent Posts