Best hunting bullet for .338 lapua?

vcinri

Just got back from my Texas hog hunt. First time using the .338 Lapua.
My bullet is a 250 gr. Sierra Game king averaging 3050 Fps.
I was surprised I was getting very little expansion with the bullet, if any.
A solid bone hit was devastating but many were just 33 cal. holes on both sides, even on
a couple of 200+ lb ers.
My initial thought was the soft point would be a better hunting head than a match tip.
I would like to hear some other experiences.
Thanks,
VC

You could be getting tons of expansion, and just a fragment of the bullet exiting?

I've had really great luck with that same bullet out of a 338 WM, but muzzle velocity lower, 2800 fps.

If I was hunting with a lapua, I'd probably try the 285 ELD-M.

Only taken one mule deer with 285 eldm out of a 338 edge but it worked perfectly. Definitely using it again

300gr Berger OTM, 338 Lapua 2775fps, trimmed meplats.

500yds rib cage on a 275lb black bear. Finger sized entrance and fist sized exit hole. Jello between the two holes.

What is the realistic hunting range for this rifle? I know there is a hash tag for long range. What is the OP's definition of long range?

A hog not going to provide the mass to expand those big heavy bullets like a big bear or Elk would. I shot a caribou with my 340 and the 225 Ttsx and it did expand okay, but not like a 140gr 280 Rem would have. Need a lot of bulk to expand those heavy bullets MADE for large heavy game.

Maybe go with a lighter bullet then like people are mentioning so it will expand easier on thinner tissue? And I second RockyMtnMt, what is your intended range to hunt with this setup?

Just got back from my Texas hog hunt. First time using the .338 Lapua. My bullet is a 250 gr. Sierra Game king averaging 3050 Fps. I was surprised I was getting very little expansion with the bullet, if any.
A solid bone hit was devastating but many were just 33 cal. holes on both sides, even on a couple of 200+ lb ers. <SNIPPED STUFF>

I'm guessing no recovered bullets? If so, my theory would be that the Game Kings expanded fine, shed their jackets and lead as they passed through the pig and the exit wound wasn't much more than caliber size because of that. Game Kings aren't tough bullets and they aren't bonded, so the Lapua was probably tossing them fast enough to have them shed the jacket and come apart in the animal, with just a bit of lead core exiting. Hey, it's just a theory. If the hogs died, then you (and the gun/bullet) did good. Winner!

I have had great luck with both 300 SMK and Berger OTM's on deer and elk. For hogs I would try 250 grain Accubonds. They seem to work/expand on most everything from point blank on out.

Just got back from my Texas hog hunt. First time using the .338 Lapua.
My bullet is a 250 gr. Sierra Game king averaging 3050 Fps.
I was surprised I was getting very little expansion with the bullet, if any.
A solid bone hit was devastating but many were just 33 cal. holes on both sides, even on
a couple of 200+ lb ers.
My initial thought was the soft point would be a better hunting head than a match tip.
I would like to hear some other experiences.
Thanks,
VC[/QUO
Did the ones with holes on both sides get away? If not.....dead is dead and the less meat wasted the better in my books! Sounds like a keeper to me!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts