Best holdover reticle of varmints?

motown

USo I picked up a Weatherby Vanguard s2 a few weeks ago in 223 rem. I worked up a load with varget and 55gr blitzkings that will average around .25-.50" @ 100 yards and I couldnt be happier.

I currently have a 5-15 bushnell elite 3200 (which is a great clear scope btw) sitting on top and after an all day ground hog hunt yesterday I would like to find a scope in the 6-18 or 6.5-20 range that with a good bdc reticle. My furthest kill was at 340 yards but that was after 2 shots and some guessing on the holdover. I am thinking about the 6-18 vx-2 with the LRV reticle but does anyone else have any suggestions? I am not a huge fan of the nikon bdc as I think the circles are a little too big for small varmints like groundhogs especially once you get out past 200 yards.

****title is suppose to read "best holdover reticle for varmints" but I cannot edit the title.

I shot for years with a Burris 6.5-20 with a Ballistic Mil Dot reticle and absolutely loved it. I'm actually sad I've sold them all because it was an awesome scope in the prairie dog fields.

Leupold Varmint Hunter reticle is hard to beat. I've been using one for close to 10 yrs. Used it on .223, .243, and .204 Ruger. Simply adjust the magnification to match the ballistics of your load. I'm Not a big fan of the Nikon system either. I was always told that x marks the spot. A circle and a heavy reticle leave much to be desired when shooting small targets at long range.

I'm another one for the Leupold Varmint reticle, I have a VX3 6.5-20x40 on a tikka tactical 308 it allows me to shoot out to 500mtrs using the hold-over marks it's so easy to use in the field.

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I should of mentioned before that I am looking at keeping the cost of this scope to around $400-$500 so the 6.5-20 leupold is probably out. Does anybody have any experience with the 6.5-20 vortex viper with the dead hold bdc? I have a 4-16 Viper HS on my creedmoor and am happy with the clarity but it is the standard plex reticle and I have no experience with there BDC. I like the fact that you can input your data on the Vortex website and generate a drop chart for the BDC but am curious if the DOTS are small enough for varmints?

Thanks for all of the responses guys. I should of mentioned before that I am looking at keeping the cost of this scope to around $400-$500 so the 6.5-20 leupold is probably out. Does anybody have any experience with the 6.5-20 vortex viper with the dead hold bdc? I have a 4-16 Viper HS on my creedmoor and am happy with the clarity but it is the standard plex reticle and I have no experience with there BDC. I like the fact that you can input your data on the Vortex website and generate a drop chart for the BDC but am curious if the DOTS are small enough for varmints?

I like a standard duplex!..Nothing to block sight...as some of those scopes have more hash marks that a 30 yr gunnery sargent...and the view is clear. Knowing the trajectory of my slug is prime importance and the exact distance helps greatly.

Find the distance...put the crosshairs on his chin...or top of his head...or above his hear somewhat. Its easy enough to do.

Just a question; as the size and dimensions of the reticle in a FFP scope do not change in relation to the target, will the bullet drop hashes work for all loads and calibers? If they do then a FFP with BDC would be fine I guess.

I'll add that I have a Zeiss SFP scope that has a BDC and will only work at 1 power setting and that is dictated by the type of projectile and it's caliber and it's velocity at the muzzle.
The BDC would not be correct at the same power setting if I used a heavier bullet with different BC and a lower muzzle velocity. I would need to go to the Zeiss site and use their calculator to work out which power setting was closest. It does work by the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.