Best heavy bullet for coyotes out of an AR-15?

RidgeKid

I have an AR with a 20" stainless steel bull barrel with a 1:8 twist. I have 55gr soft points currently and my groups are horrible. Everything I've read says I need a heavy bullet, only problem is heavier bullets are to long for an AR mag. And the ones that will work say they aren't recommended for hunting. I'm lost on what to do! Anyone have some suggestions??

A 69 gr Sierra will do the trick on a coyote, and so will the 75 gr a-max (single feed).

77SMK is super accurate in my RRA Varmit with 1-8. The 55 gr. were not that accurate in my rifle, but the 60 V-Max is very accurate and great for Coyotes. I know it is only 5 gr. heavier, but alot of AR's shoot them well & the terminal performance is great.

Dont let the twist fool you, you don't nessisarly need a heavier bullet you just need the right one. Try the 53 grain vmax, or even the 40,55 grain vmax. No point in using a AR if your going to single load. Try different bullet types and brands, have always had good luck with hordany.

Ya ill have to do that. I don't want to have to single load my AR otherwise I would have kept my single shot! Thanks for the advice guys! Now if I can only find a place that has bullets for sell!

The heavy SMK's are great bullets. I have also had VERY good luck with the Hornady 68grn Match bullet over Varget. Sub- MOA @ 100 out of a 16" gasser & 1-4x scope has made more than a few bolt rifles look bad :D

Good luck on your quest to find them in stock!

t

Ive been shooting 75gr PPU Match bullets loaded with WC842 out of my AR15 for several years now. I use it on everything from deer to hogs to coyotes.
Works great! Seat them to mag length and get to shooting.

Ive done some 80GR Nosler Custom Competitions to mag length and they shot right at 1.125" groups at 100yds. but the 75gr PPU match were alot cheaper back when i bought a few thousand. Now i just use 77gr Nosler CC's. They work just as good.

77gr is usually max weight people use for mag length stuff. Some of the 80s will do but starts getting iffy with the neck tension for mag length.

My 7 twist Daniel Defense barrel loves the 40Gr Vmax and the 77Gr Noslers, the grouped the best. never understood why the 40gr did so good.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.