Best handheld radio?

Back in the mid '70's we started carrying CB radios and walkie-talkies because all us kids started hunting and parents wanting to keep track of us. Dad had a couple 3 channel ones the size of huge cellular phones, the original ones. My uncle had a 23 channel midland that was battery powered and hung from a belt, it had an 8 foot extendable antenna. Can't believe he hunted through the PNW brush with that thing on his hip. eventually moved to the FRS and then GMRS radios but they seem to have issues with water even if they say waterproof. My cousin and myself both have had issues with the mics getting wet and not transmitting and those rechargeable ones the battery packs don't last. Have better luck with rechargable batteries rather than the midland pack, which I think is 3 cells instead of 4 if you don't use the pack. I use Lithium AA cells or NiMH rechargables instead of the pack. Wonder if I could recharge the AA cells while in the radio using the charging stand? It just sits there unused now. Most of time don't carry one now since I hunt alone. My cousin got new ones for this past hunting season that are 5 watt and have bluetooth, can send gps location etc and looked good and functioned well for him and his wife. May have been Baofeng something. I tend to not talk much on them, just there for emergency mostly.

Back in the mid '70's we started carrying CB radios and walkie-talkies because all us kids started hunting and parents wanting to keep track of us. Dad had a couple 3 channel ones the size of huge cellular phones, the original ones. My uncle had a 23 channel midland that was battery powered and hung from a belt, it had an 8 foot extendable antenna. Can't believe he hunted through the PNW brush with that thing on his hip. eventually moved to the FRS and then GMRS radios but they seem to have issues with water even if they say waterproof. My cousin and myself both have had issues with the mics getting wet and not transmitting and those rechargeable ones the battery packs don't last. Have better luck with rechargable batteries rather than the midland pack, which I think is 3 cells instead of 4 if you don't use the pack. I use Lithium AA cells or NiMH rechargables instead of the pack. Wonder if I could recharge the AA cells while in the radio using the charging stand? It just sits there unused now. Most of time don't carry one now since I hunt alone. My cousin got new ones for this past hunting season that are 5 watt and have bluetooth, can send gps location etc and looked good and functioned well for him and his wife. May have been Baofeng something. I tend to not talk much on them, just there for emergency mostly.
Yes, if you are using rechargeable batteries, you can recharge them in the stand.

With everything going on with our government in the world today where do you think a radio license ranks.I say noncompliance is the way of the future in many areas!
I suspect that the FCC will make some big, public waves once, maybe twice, and then cede the battleground. Just like they did with cb's. It's basically unenforceable as it stands now.

You are better served with GMRS radios. Marine VHF radios are for Marine use. You need a Special License form the FCC to operate them. The Marine VHF Band is reserved for , you guessed it, MARINE Traffic. I live in FL and a group of Deer Hunters who run dogs found that those 5 watt Marine Radios worked very well and started using them while hunting. Problem was that the vessel operators heard them and complained to the FCC. The dog hunters were identified and prosecuted and had large fines levied on them. If you want a rugged high power radio go with Amateur Radio for VHF/UHF FM , get then license and you will a have radio that will have great distance capabilities and serve you well for years. In addition some Amateur repeaters can be used to make telephone calls with Amateur handheld radios. They also receive NOAA Weather radio. If you dont want to be bothered with the whole license thing just stick with Good quality GMRS Radios.

I have a set of BCA radios that work really well. I bought them after going on a snowmobile trip with buddies that have them and being very impressed with the performance and range in mountainous and forested terrain, way better than the midland and cobra radios I had used before.

My only complaint is they have a loud roger beep that I don't think can be turned off.

With everything going on with our government in the world today where do you think a radio license ranks.I say noncompliance is the way of the future in many areas!
Depends on where you live as they have to check around the area to determine frequencies and any possible bleed over. Our biggest delay was the actual radio shop getting the dang thing sent in. We started a year and a half ago, and they were months behind on current work due to no supply. After we hounded the shop to get it sent in it Took us five months to get the license.

VHF Radio license:

I found a very SECURE Commnication System that is TOP Secret from our Government. This system comes with available distance to communicate (string length). Also has the option to add another person on the system.

Attachments

• Hight Tech Communication.jpg
    Hight Tech Communication.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Network.jpg
    Network.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 50
  • Secure communicatiion Systems.jpg
    Secure communicatiion Systems.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 57