best for antelope

ann brezinski

what do you consider a good caliber and cartridge for long range antelope hunting out west?7mm or 30 caliber?or the 264 cases?
gary b...

They are all good. For antelope, at long range, the biggest factor is without doubt the wind, especially in Wyoming. So the largest caliber and heaviest bullet, with best BC you can handle is best. Some folks even use 338s. Don't worry, it won't blow them up.

I've shot two with a 25-06 but only at 350 yards. I'm considering re-barreling my 25-06 to a 28 Nosler. Hopefully that will be my deer/elk/antelope slayer for quite a few years.

They are all good. For antelope, at long range, the biggest factor is without doubt the wind, especially in Wyoming. So the largest caliber and heaviest bullet, with best BC you can handle is best

How do you make that statement in this thread when that's exactly what I was stating in the other thread and you agreed with the stance of get the bullet going as fast as possible and be dammed the bc and wind and having a known range?

How do you make that statement in this thread when that's exactly what I was stating in the other thread and you agreed with the stance of get the bullet going as fast as possible and be dammed the bc and wind and having a known range?

Pyro, I never agreed with that crazy velocity statement on the other thread. I chimed in when we were discussing age and ability to retrieve what we shoot. I actually agree with your principles on the other thread. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

There are lots of very good calibers available for long range antelope hunting but my persoanal favorite for several years is the 6.5x284. Loaded with a 140 VLD ay 3000 FPS it has light recoil, superb accuracy, and sufficient energy to make clean kills out to 1000 yards.

A lot of ours will be taken with a 22-250 and Berger bullets inside 600 yards but the 6.5's are excellent as well as the 270 WSM, they don't argue with a 338 RUM or Lapua AI either. Antelope tend to be the preseason warm up but we always have a 22-250 along.

A 243AI, 6-284, 6-06, or 240 Wby in a 8 twist barrel with Berger 115's is very adequate. I have killed several at 1000 yards with a 240 Wby in a Joel Russo stock.

go with a 264 win mag....mine spits out 140 bergers @ 3265 with 1/3 moa accuracy....doing the math, that's equal to and exceeding 300 weatherby velocity and ft. lb's with factory 180 gr bullets.....with less bullet and less recoil.

Just about anything will do, personally used .243 to last year 780 yards with a .338-378, over kill yes, fun yes! My favorites over the years have been 25-06 and 257 Weatherby with Balistic Tips, Shooting Bergers now but think I like the BT better. Don't overthink the Goats.

.25-06 Rem would probably be the orthodox answer. That's what I have, but mine is probably destined to be replaced by a 6.5 Sherman or 6.5 Sherman Shortmag.

257 Weatherby would be another good choice. Just about any of the 6.5mm or 7mm cartridges would probably be good choices. 243 or other 6mm will get the job done.

Speed goats don't take that much power to kill, but this being the LRH forum, you might want enough zip to reach out there. And on the open plains, wind is usually a factor, so high BC is valuable.

Just about anything will do, personally used .243 to last year 780 yards with a .338-378, over kill yes, fun yes! My favorites over the years have been 25-06 and 257 Weatherby with Balistic Tips, Shooting Bergers now but think I like the BT better. Don't overthink the Goats.

Exactly.
Speed goats are not hard to put down, but really hard to range accurately.
You'll find them out on the flat land with nothing to compare them to.
Many newbies shoot over the top of them, having ranged them at 400 when they are only 250 yards away.
So what do you have that shoots flat between 200 and 400 yards?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.