Best fitting picatinny rail for 700 308 TAC-SA

tgh97531

What is the best fitting picatinny rail for a 700 308 TAC-SA? Looking for a base that will fit the receiver like a glove so I do not have to bed the bases to the action.

I bed them all. No matter how good the base is the receiver top will vary in production rifles.

But to answer your question directly. I have found Near Mfg. rails to be of the highest quality for fit. I also feel Nightforce rails fit very well too.

I want to add, I have tested many rails and rings. I have seen many less expensive offerings fail. I set everything up using a straight edge, and centering points. Before I put a scope on I know it will have no induced stress on the tube from misalignment. When you start looking close you start to see where some fall short. This is for sure an area where you get what you pay for. And at long distances it shows up.

Jeff

I've got the same rifle with a Nightforce 20 MOA Picatinny that works mighty well. I like the steel bases. They make the receiver more rigid. This helps even more if your receiver bottom is cut for a repeater.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.