Best FFP scope for the buck?

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
MidwayUSA has a CrimsonTrace series 5 scope for $799 3-18x50 and 34mm tube that is made in Japan. Normal price was $1500. I have bought 2 of these and they are a phenomenal value. They're made in the same factory as Nightforce SHV and Bushnell elite tactical scopes. There 2 models and I preferred the lower powered 3-18 due to retical type. Also a very nice Bushnell Elite Tactical for $810 that was normally $1499 on clearance here.

Check out blackhoundoptics.com. Lifetime transferable warranty and comes with a few extras (flip up caps, 30 mm rings, sun shade, etc). Use the discount code of "basinman" and save an additional 5% and get free shipping. I have several 6-24x50 and they are outstanding for the price.

I have an Arken 6-24 EP4. All I can say is WOW. They are around $600 You won't believe the quality. I'm not saying it's a SB, but there is nothing in that price range that can touch it. I paid dealer price so it was even less. Tracking is crisp, glass is great. The down side is that you have to wait like forever to get one. I think I waited about 4 months, so that may be a deal breaker for you. I currently have a second one on order. Check them out. There are Youtube vids on them as well.

I'm new to FFP scopes and on a budget so would like to ask your opinions on what has the best quality for the buck. thanks
You didn't say for what application/distance. I don't have the luxury of buying and trying. I had to do it right the first try. Both my rifles are +600 yd. guns so for both I went with Nightforce ATACR1 5X25X55 Scopes. I've been very happy with these.

Everyone will jump on me for this one....but aside from the less expensive Burris, Leupold, and Vortex...I've had good luck with Primary Arms 4-14 FFP illuminated scopes. Yep, made in China. For a super entry level price, you get a LOT of features. I've had the super $$ scopes (Nighforce), and ya know, on my 6.5 x .284, it's honestly not half bad. It tracks well, illumination is good, glass is what I'd call mid range. Burris and Leupold are better. I guess it depends on your budget. From now on, I cap my budget at $700'ish. After laying primo dinero on scopes that I only use for hunting a couple of times a year with target reticles that I can't even see when dialed up....I'm going back to Spam budget, and enjoying more ammo. Thanks for the fella that mentioned the Atholon, I've been been very curious about those, and absolutely agree on the Meopta, great glass!!!

Last edited:
I have a good assortment of FFP scopes. For my money the elite tactical bushnell scopes are an excellent value. DMR2 should be delivered today. That will be #9 FFP bushnell in my inventory I think.

I am surprised no one mention the Meopta Optika6 3-18x50 FFP. I have 2, 1 on a 6.5cm and one on a .308 Win. hunting rifle. Love em. 30mm tubes, great Euro glass, and built tough. I have run my turrets up and down over 100 times and always a reliable return to zero with the zero-stop. I have the MOA turrets on mine. Euro quality for sub $700.

I've owned the Bushnell DMRII, it's built like a tank and tracted perfectly, I owned three of those actually. A bit heavy for hunting IMO but a great scope. I bought a MeOpta Optika6 this past summer, it's been an excellent scope, the Leupold LRPs are good scopes I'm sorry to hear they don't make them anymore. When I've been on a budget, I've always watched the classifieds and tried to pick up a good deal on a clean scope, that has served me well several times, if your not pressed for time that's a good way to go.

Little bit more than you want to spend but, you want to consider Nightforce.

I have two Sig Tango 4 4-16x44 scopes, and like those. I have the first generation grey one on my 284Win, and a second generation black one on my 223AI. So far they track well, hold a good zero, have a solid zero stop, and the illuminated reticle turn itself off if the rifle stops moving and then turn back on again; battery life seems pretty good, even when I left the reticle on through several days of hunting. I like their DEV-L reticle too. They are working well for me.