Best factory Rifle???

+1 .280Fan.

I did the same thing w/ an old Winchester. Sent it to McGowen Precision Barrels. They did all the work under $600, and I am very happy w/ the rifle now.

Steve

Buzzsaw –

"best factory rifle available?"..undefinable, but .. My answer: Savage law enforcement or varmint models 10fp etc.., overall best out of box value, least amt of accurizing.. easily upgradeable, weight is around 8.5 (1 lb high).
Your Answer: I would take the Sako A7 in .308, .243 or .25-06, great make, great inherently accurate calibers..low(er) recoil. I have a friend who has one and is very satisfied, he is getting under 1"moa 100 consistently. No comment on X-bolt as I've not played with one and not really heard too many things (good or bad off top of my head). And, Rem, you and I have same opinion, though they could be accurized for a little over what your budget is… I do like the VSF for $1K , looks kinda like the modified ADL your daughter has.. .

Good luck !
:)

The tikka's are had to beat. I have one in a 22-250 that shoots .375" with the cheap factory ammo. My brother and a couple of buddies have them and they all shoot .75" ctc @100. And they are very light. The down fall is the scope mounts that come with the rifle are not very good.

PSTIMAC, I am not sure how big of a town Elko, NV is. Just wondering if you knew any Simms from WV

Buzzsaw:
What will you do with the .243? Just put it away and not shoot it? Rather than roll the dice on a new rifle for $1k, how about spending $650 and rebarrel the .243 in 7-08. That way you get the caliber you want, without another rifle and the odds of it being a shooter are much better with a custom barrel and action job than you would with a new rifle.

Hart does a great work. Hart Rifle Barrels

They handled the work on my deer rifle: http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-a-32771/

Exactly right.........Just put a new bbl on the thing.........and, the $650 will get you a new bbl AND probably the action trued up!!!!

If done right by a good smith, in 7mm08..............1/4 to 1/2 inch groups!!:)

Buzzsaw ,

I'll offer this up, What if YOU could build a custom yourself for your budget.
These guys are all sponsers on Savageshooters.com check them out
Savage short action ... $ 365 Northlander shooter supply
Shilen or McGowen barrel ... Your choice of caliber and twist 26" Varmint contour ... Northlander also $270
Laminate stock with Adj Cheek ... $350 sharpshooter supply
These prices are off the top of my head but very close. Northlander also has a Savage model 12 BVSS ( no longer in production ) in .308 new for $650 or so and would be a great shooter .

Leave the 243 for your daughter , that way you have a shooting partner.

Mike

Sorry Buzz.... Not going to make your weight limit , My Bad

Last edited:
rebarrel the .243 and have the action trued. i would use a krieger. other may have a different favorite.

I highly recommend one of the Browning X-Bolt rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor, an inherently accurate long range cartridge she can easily handle without developing a flinch.

There are several X-Bolts for sale at $1,000. or less. All are mechanically identical.

Eric B.

yep and this still holds VERY true!! BUT

The X-Bolt is still top 3

But since I started this thread, I got what I REALLY wanted

Budget is $1,000 (rifle only), what is the best factory rifle available? Long rang capable (600yds), Weigh in around 7.5#, short action caliber re 7mm-08. Mild recoil, my daughter will shoot it. Whitetail deer primary game. I'm in Texas so I can stretch the shots out. ACCURACY is paramount. Anybody tried my top choices: Sako A-7, TC Icon, Browning X-Bolt, I love Remington but their accuracy has fallen off except on their premium tactical rifles.

I'm spoiled as I shoot the LSR rifle below in 7WSM. It is great once I get to my blind but is a little heavy. The tan rifle is my daughters .243. It's a 700ADL bedded in an H&S stock with a trigger job. The thing shoots 1.5-2.0 inches at 100yds, definately not accurate. I could rebarrell but... and I can't afford another full blown custom. Thanks for your suggestions.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o257/buzzsawbucket/DSCN0036.jpg[/IMG]
URL]

DSCN0046.jpg

DSCN0139.jpg

DSCN0170.jpg

DSC02354.jpg

For a budget rifle, Tikka.
For a step up a basic Bergera.
Hard to go wrong with either one.
Accurate and well made.
Cheap Savage and Ruger Americans are sloppily made, many fore ends touching the barrels, cheap plastic parts, breaking in cold weather.
Deer are easily put down with modern chamberings from 6mm up.
With all caliber, bar none, the most important part is where you plant your bullet. I have seen a 120 lbs Arctic Peary caribou, shot with a .338 and 250 grain PowerPoint, collapse then jump up and escape by running into an inaccessible Boulder field .😬😬