Best factory rifle?

Before you spend your wife's money šŸ¤£, I should warn you about my first Sauer. At 200 yards I shot 5 times and only hit this target dot once. View attachment 374306 No, wait, I was wrong. There were 4 more holes hiding underneath that stupid dime. How did that get there? View attachment 374307
Jon, most members may be tired of this thread, but I'm doubling down! I just purchased a Model 100 XT in 7mm Rem Mag. If I'm REALLY lucky, it MIGHT be here by the end of the upcoming week. If it isn't, it will be 2 weeks before I can get it picked up from the dealer. Going to purchase some 168gr VLD Hunting bullets as we speak, and have plenty of Nosler brass on the way that I found on sale for a whopping $84.99/50 early last week. I will seat those on the lands on top of MRP and a Federal Gold Medal Match LR Mag primer. According to Berger's ballistics calculator, down here at sea level I'm good to well beyond 1000yds with that combo depending on final muzzle velocity.

...And the best part is, I bought it for $444 (plus shipping, plus tax, plus plus plus!) It will end up a large Coke at the movies short of $550 transferred and sitting in my safe. It has previously been titled, but unfired and delivered with DNZ 2-piece ring mounts from an estate sale.šŸ˜Ž I am anxious to see if I have as good luck as you've had with yours!

Are you freaking kidding me...because it doesn't sound like you are joking! 7 Rem Mag too...sweeeeeet! Good for you. Don't know what the Sauer synthetic stock is like because both of mine are Beech. But it should be the same exact design and dimensions as the Beech stock. Do you have any 7 Rem Mag ammo just to break it in?

The twist for Sauer rifles isn't geared toward super heavy bullets, but you will just have to shoot a few different weights to discover the sweet spot for your Sauer.

Last edited:
Are you freaking kidding me...because it doesn't sound like you are joking! 7 Rem Mag too...sweeeeeet! Good for you. Don't know what the Sauer synthetic stock is like because both of mine are Beech. But it should be the same exact design and dimensions as the Beech stock. Do you have any 7 Rem Mag ammo just to break it in?

The twist for Sauer rifles isn't geared toward super heavy bullets, but you will just have to shoot a few different weights to discover the sweet spot for your Sauer.
Oh I'm serious! I have some ancient Browning 160 SPs or some such and I have some OLD (GOOD!) Winchester brass and 120gr Ballistic Tips I can run some really old Accurate 4350 or IMR 4831 in. So yeah, I think I'm good. The LGS didn't have the 168s they've had ALL year long in plenty. Out of towners have found the hideout! That's ok. I got some online along with some VLD 140s for good measure. I have quite a few bullets to choose from. I really don't know what all I do have. The 1:9.4 should stabilize the 168s. It's about a hair's breadth too slow for Hornady 166 A-Tips, but that's ok. I'm not a huge fan of those for hunting anyway.

A couple of years ago I bought a Cooper Model 52 in 300 WM. I was saving for a LR gun and walked into Sportsmans and they had it on clearance for $1900. My first Cooper was about 5 years ago used for $1100. I also bought a Model 52 in 30-06. They shoot lights out. May be more than you want to spend, but they are phenominal. I could not ask for a better rifle and I love them.
I have a mod. 52 in 6.5x284. awesome rifle

Another vote for Tikka.
If weight is a serious consideration
I honestly believe there is no better100% factory sub $1k HUNTING rifle than a Tikka.
AS good? absolutely yes, but not better.

Went back and forth between Tikka and Bergara......ended up with Tikka
Agreed, hard to beat for the price
You will not be sorry
Here is a couple of pictures of a targets The unlabeled one is from 2019 and that year's sight (100 yard) in prior to deer season. Was using previous years ammo I left seated very long then re-seated the bullet (180grn SGK) to desired length the night before then shot next day.
Other is one is a picture of one of my load development targets.
Range conditions were near perfect for both targets. Its a Tikka T3 Lite in 300wsm.
I can not be happier.
Forgot to add I got an unbelievable deal on 180/.308" Nosler BT's and bought a bunch. Got VERY lucky that both my Tikka and Savage 308 shoot them extremely well. But I hunt with 180/SGK which my T3 shoots also extremely well. The target of three 100 yard groups was shot using 180/NBT's.

Attachments

• TIKKA 2019.jpg
    TIKKA 2019.jpg
    963.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20170608_130031.jpg
    20170608_130031.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have Weatherby's and never got a bad one, .300, .340.

Attachments

• .340 weatherby.JPG
    .340 weatherby.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • .300 weatherby 001.jpg
    .300 weatherby 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • .300 weatherby.jpg
    .300 weatherby.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 15
I plan on "building" a rifle, and by building I mean upgrading What I deem necessary whether that be barrel (I hope not), stock, lugs, mercury tube, brake etc. caliber aside, in y'all's opinion what is the best factory rifle under or at a 2k$ price point?
I just got a Tikka CTR. It is amazing. The prairie dogs sure don't like it.