Best factory or custom ammo for .270Win

Handymike

I have resurected my old rifle from years past. Its a model 721 Remington .270. I have, over the years shot only Remington Coreloc either 130 grn or 150 grn. This has been a very accurate gun especially with some handloads a friend did for me many years ago. Currently I am not a reloader however I have saved Remington brass ( about 300 ) over the years.
I cannot find Remington Coreloc in either loading anywhere locally ( Calif ) and cannot have any shipped to me in this state. My question to the Forum is what is your favorite .270 factory ammo for deer sized game.
I may make one final hunt here in Calif. for hogs this fall and I realize that I will need non lead ammo for that hunt. Also a hunt back in South Dakota hopefully for first ever Whitetail.
I am assuming 300 yd. shots max either area.
thanks
Mike

I have resurected my old rifle from years past. Its a model 721 Remington .270. I have, over the years shot only Remington Coreloc either 130 grn or 150 grn. This has been a very accurate gun especially with some handloads a friend did for me many years ago. Currently I am not a reloader however I have saved Remington brass ( about 300 ) over the years.
I cannot find Remington Coreloc in either loading anywhere locally ( Calif ) and cannot have any shipped to me in this state. My question to the Forum is what is your favorite .270 factory ammo for deer sized game.
I may make one final hunt here in Calif. for hogs this fall and I realize that I will need non lead ammo for that hunt. Also a hunt back in South Dakota hopefully for first ever Whitetail.
thanks
Mike
I have my father's Model 721 that he bought after the Korean War, and I think the date code is built in 1952. I've kept the wooden stock on it, replaced the brutally rigid recoil pad with a limbsaver for the grandkids, same factory trigger, only change is a scope. It shoots sub .500 moa, Taking it to Texas this fall so his great-grandkids can harvest deer with his rifle. Here is my load.

Nosler 140 gn Ballistic Tip

Remington brass

IMR 4350, 48.5 gn

Coal 3.340

Federal large rifle match primer

Barrel twist 1:10

Last edited:
I don't buy factory ammo. I have 55 years of handloading experience. I started with hand dies and used the handle end of a broken baseball bat for force and surplus .50 Cal powder I purchase in a plastic bag. As a handloader, I have always admired Weatherby ammo. I remember when Weatherby introduced the .30-378 Magnum. As soon as we could, we got a "Crony" (1995) to verify the claimed 3400 fps for a 180gr bullet. It lived up to Weatherby advertising. Handloading for the .30-378, with the powders available at the time, we could never equal the performance of the factory Weatherby ammo. Years later Norma finally solved the mystery by supplying the Norma 217 powder that they used. Norma cases are among the most sought after cases. I have depended on .22 PPC, 6mm PPC, 6mm BR, .270 WSM, 6.5 Arisaka, and many more. I loaded 270 and 7mm Weatherby cases sized and trimmed in my 7mm Remington die and rifle, just to take advantage of the Norma quality cases. Weatherby, as a company, would not have survived to today without the superior factory ammo loaded by Norma.

My recent experience handloading to compete with the Barnes .270 factory loads (loaded by Norma), has reaffirmed that respect. The cronograph and 200 yard accuracy has shown they are superior to the factory Hornady Superformance and Federal junk in both accuracy and lack of temperature sensitivity.

thanks
Mike

With respect 65wsm , I think we need every American ammo manufacturing company we have,Federal has done a Exemplary job with providing the American sportsman with some of the finest cutting edge ammo for many many years .

Great point jjmp. @65WSM not everyone is a reloader, some need to buy ammo.

Federal Premium ammo is no junk. Their stuff is known to shoot well. If their ammo groups consistently sub half MOA with premium bulllets, I don't see how that is junk.

Winchester with Ballistic Silvertip also shoots great, as some Hornady ammo as well.

With the current ammo and reloading supply shortage some have to make due with what they can get.

It might come down to what the OP can find before his hunts. For some being picky might not be an option at the moment.

This is a hard question given the uncertainty of what you might find to be available - you may wish to offer what that looks like for more useful answers.

Basic factory ammo with non-bonded lead bullets like Core Lokt, Powerpoint, etc. have always been easy to shoot well in my 270. I prefer using 150 grain bullets with the basic cup and core ammo.

My favorite previously low cost factory ammo has been the Federal Fusion. It works well in many guns including my 270 - very similar to the CoreLokt, etc. being easy to shoot sub-MOA - and is a bonded bullet so a bit tougher which I'm more apt to shoot the 130 grain options with (although for 270win I still prefer to shoot the 150's and 140's).

The Hornady GMX and Barnes TSX/TTSX are good options when you need a non-lead bullet.

The Accubond is a great option when I decide that I need something better ballistically for my 270win than a Core-Lokt or Fusion. I've never used the similar options from Sierra which have a reputation for shooting well out of many guns like the AB's ... but I wouldn't hesitate to try their bonded/tipped options if I found them in stock.