Best factory ammo to site new 300 WSM?

Try the Federal 165gr. Trophy bonded tip (TBT) and the Federal 200 gr, Edge TLR . I get exceptional accuracy out of my 06 5 shot groups 165TBT and 175 EdgeTLR , the reason I suggested the 200gr TLR is because I do not know if Federal loads the 175 in the WSM . I have hand loads in both of these for my 30 cal Lazz Patriot but have not tested them yet . They are fine bullets and deadly. JMHO

Howdy gents,

I've got a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 WSM
I've recently had it Hydpdipped and next weekend will get to the range to zero in.

I have 3 questions:
1. Best Factory Ammo for an initial sighting - (new optic)
2. Brass source for best brass to build a round
3. Best components other than brass ie- Powder, Bullet (including weight) and primer.

I know there are always multiple answers to the above.
I'm seeking bullet weight for long-range hunting at first, target later.
I'd love both suggestions if you wouldn't mind so I don't have to ask in the future.

My goal:
1/4 inch MOA (or as close as possible) target
1/2 inch MOA hunting (assuming a heavier round might have a little more spread)

You may try the Federal Edge TLR .308 175 Gr. Bullet. My grandson has a Tikka in .300 WSM. It doesn't shoot the heavier bullets well. Federal has introduced the new Ascent bullet. It appears that the only change to the TLR is a 2nd cannerule. I shoot the 200 gr in my Mod 70 .300 WSM with excellent accuracy and terminal performance.

Don't do factory stuff, but for rolling my own I use the following:
  • Norma brass
  • Federal 215 or 215 M
  • Berger 180 Hybrid Elite
  • H4350
Produces this in my rifle
View attachment 177749View attachment 177750
Nice reloading, fantastic shooting. There is always error along the way from the rifle, the reloads, the shooter, and the conditions. Unbelievably well done!
1. Did you chronograph that round? Grouping exceeds the importance of FPS, but I had to ask.
2. What is the length of your barrel?
3. Does your barrel have a muzzle brake?

Many thanks,
Tom Hall

Nice reloading, fantastic shooting. There is always error along the way from the rifle, the reloads, the shooter, and the conditions. Unbelievably well done!
1. Did you chronograph that round? Grouping exceeds the importance of FPS, but I had to ask.
2. What is the length of your barrel?
3. Does your barrel have a muzzle brake?

Many thanks,
Tom Hall
Custom rifle sporting a 26 inch Bartlein 3b barrel with a muzzle brake. Average FPS is 2976 if I remember correctly.

Thanks Cohunt,
This is my first long range rifle.
Can you fill me in on the dislike of the 1:11 twist?
Haven't seen anyone give you a answer so I'll give you my take. Many of the high BC (heavy/long) bullets will be seated deep into the case and limit case capacity to meet mag length constraints. How factory chambers are throated is another potential place you can run into issues with the bulltet intruding on case capacity. I recommend you check out Berger's stability calculator (it's in their resources and then ballistics tab or just Google Berger stability calculator) on their website and punch in some numbers based on the heavier (high BC) bullets and your shooting environment and you will probably find you aren't properly stabilizing heavier bullets and losing BC with a 11 twist vs a faster twist barrel. Here is the upside, the 180 Elite hunter has shot extremely well for me in multiple rifles I have worked up loads for myself and and a lot of friends rifles and performs well out to distances beyond what most are capable or willing to shoot at game.

1) I have the same rifle in 300wsm. My Tikka, while I can dial in excellent 165gn bullets (Federal Trophy Bonded Tipped, Hornady GMX), absolutely prefers 175-180gn class bullets, particularly the 175gn Berger VLD Hunting which killed the elk below. Hit high on the shoulder (my bad) but jellied the lungs and dropped her in 20 yards. Although it is not "high end" ammo, I would seriously considering trying out how it shoots the Federal Fusion 180gn factory ammo. The 100s of reviews from users can attest to the stuff.

2) Like JD126 said, it is sad to have to rely on Winchester brass, with a rate of roughly 5 pieces per 50 inspected as bad seen in my experience with both rifle and handgun brass. I went with getting Norma brass thru Midway and it's been very consistent. Budsgunshop.com and Brownell's are also good sources.

3) I use CCI 250 magnum primers for everything.View attachment 177934

One key piece of advice for any Tikka T3 Lite in heavier calibers! Get a Limbsaver model 10011 recoil pad. Try Walmart.com or Ebay to get it for about $25. It is a HUGE improvement over the stock pad, custom fit and takes about 2 mins to install. I will venture to say that it will remove recoil as a factor in your shooting. Cheers and enjoy this elk killer.

Howdy CO,
Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated.
I did get a Limb Saver.

Haven't seen anyone give you a answer so I'll give you my take. Many of the high BC (heavy/long) bullets will be seated deep into the case and limit case capacity to meet mag length constraints. How factory chambers are throated is another potential place you can run into issues with the bulltet intruding on case capacity. I recommend you check out Berger's stability calculator (it's in their resources and then ballistics tab or just Google Berger stability calculator) on their website and punch in some numbers based on the heavier (high BC) bullets and your shooting environment and you will probably find you aren't properly stabilizing heavier bullets and losing BC with a 11 twist vs a faster twist barrel. Here is the upside, the 180 Elite hunter has shot extremely well for me in multiple rifles I have worked up loads for myself and and a lot of friends rifles and performs well out to distances beyond what most are capable or willing to shoot at game.
Thanks so much partner I appreciate it

IF you are really talking LR like a 1000 yards, then you need to be in the 180-215 range of bullet weights. F 210 primers and H4350 have been a go to combo for years. However, RL 26 and superperformance should not be overlooked and try 215M. Norma brass IMO is a little soft for my liking. I competed and hunted with a WSM for 15 years. Winchester brass was the toughest but required sorting by weight and ended up with 50% in best batch. Had smaller batches but start with 200 of them in "same lot". In lighter bullets the 165 barnes TTSX with RL17 was a hammer and a screamer. It was good to 800. I would think that a true 1/4 MOA out of factory Tikka is being a bit optimistic. Be happy with 3/4" and estatic at 1/2.

IF you are really talking LR like a 1000 yards, then you need to be in the 180-215 range of bullet weights. F 210 primers and H4350 have been a go to combo for years. However, RL 26 and superperformance should not be overlooked and try 215M. Norma brass IMO is a little soft for my liking. I competed and hunted with a WSM for 15 years. Winchester brass was the toughest but required sorting by weight and ended up with 50% in best batch. Had smaller batches but start with 200 of them in "same lot". In lighter bullets the 165 barnes TTSX with RL17 was a hammer and a screamer. It was good to 800. I would think that a true 1/4 MOA out of factory Tikka is being a bit optimistic. Be happy with 3/4" and estatic at 1/2.
Hey Bounty,
Thanks for the details sir.
To clarify I'm hoping for 1/4 MOA from a round build up.
Interesting to hear your opinion on Norma Brass vs Winchester. I'm in no way an experienced reloader so I ask questions.

I hear most praise Norma brass.
Can you elaborate on that thought sir?
The too soft quality of Norma brass?
What issues does this cause?

Hey Bounty,
Interesting to hear your opinion on Norma Brass vs Winchester. I'm in no way an experienced reloader so I ask questions.

Norma is good brass, just soft IMO. the wsm is up there in pressure, so tough brass is key for long term case life. I have shot Winchester cases 15 times or more and was pushing 210s at 2950-3000 fps. Depending on the gun and long barrel.

Hey Bounty,

Not to take a leak in your cheerios but 1/4 MOA from a factory rifle would be the exception, not the norm or something to be expected. Tikka's are great rifles, so definitely not knocking them. However 1/4 MOA, it may do it once in a great while but a true 1/4 moa gun is a gun that will shoot 1/4 moa all day everyday, not once in a blue moon. Shooter factors into this a lot. I don't say this to be harsh but bring to light expectation magagement as well as the number of guys that brag about 1/4 MOA guns because they shot that kind of group once.