Best Factory Ammo for Remington 700 LR in 7mm Rem Mag

walters900

Looking for some wisdom, I haven't been able to do my own hand loading to find the best load for my rifle, mainly due to lack of space. I don't know when that might change, so I'm looking at higher quality factory ammo for the moment. What factory ammo have you guys had good luck with in a Remington 700 LR in 7mm Rem Mag? The barrel is a factory 26" heavy barrel with 1 in 9.5 or 1 in 9.25 twist. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Never shot any factory ammo for long range in my 7mm. Mainly because it is more a carry weight shorter range rifle. But If I were to... the first box I would try would be Hornady Precision Hunter with the 162 Gr ELD-X. The second box I would try would be the HSM with the 180 Berger. The third box would be Nosler with the Accubond LR or the regular 160 Accubond.

Couple weeks ago I was shooting some Hornady Superformance 129 SST 6.5 Creedmoor ammo at 640 yards. It was shooting a steady 3/4 MOA. I was a bit amazed. Hornady has been making some excellent ammo the last several years. That's why I would try them first.

If the rifle happens to shoot the HSM 180 Berger well, that would be awesome. Just got to find a brand/bullet combo the rifle likes.

Never shot any factory ammo for long range in my 7mm. Mainly because it is more a carry weight shorter range rifle. But If I were to... the first box I would try would be Hornady Precision Hunter with the 162 Gr ELD-X. The second box I would try would be the HSM with the 180 Berger. The third box would be Nosler with the Accubond LR or the regular 160 Accubond.

Couple weeks ago I was shooting some Hornady Superformance 129 SST 6.5 Creedmoor ammo at 640 yards. It was shooting a steady 3/4 MOA. I was a bit amazed. Hornady has been making some excellent ammo the last several years. That's why I would try them first.

If the rifle happens to shoot the HSM 180 Berger well, that would be awesome. Just got to find a brand/bullet combo the rifle likes.
Ok, I'll try to find a box of each one you suggested. I will eventually hand load for this gun, just looking to find a solid load for the interim and I figured it gets me some more brass too. Thanks for the suggestions.

My brother doesn't reload so he uses hsm loaded with the 168 bergers, his gun shoots 1/2 inch groups consistently.
I was considering using the hsm with 168 bergers, however I read a review on midway usa. They had the exact same gun that I have and it just didn't pair well with their rifle, however I'll probably try them if some of the others I'm looking at don't work well.

I was considering using the hsm with 168 bergers, however I read a review on midway usa. They had the exact same gun that I have and it just didn't pair well with their rifle, however I'll probably try them if some of the others I'm looking at don't work well.
Every rifle if different. It might shoot well in one, and it might shoot like **** in the one that is directly behind it on the assembly line. Factory rifles mixed with factory ammo is a complete crap-shoot as to how well it will work.

With your twist rate being 9.25", I would stick with the 168 grain, or lighter bullets...Unless you are at a high altitude, then the air is thinner and you can get away with the Berger 175 Elite Hunters and 180's.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.