Best factory ammo for 6.5 Creedmoor

Brett4533

I have a Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't reload so I'm experimenting with ammo. What have others found works good? Lighter bullet or heavier? Brands?
Trying to save a few $ by including smart people and their experience.

For your consideration:

I'm currently hand-loading that particular Berger bullet for my 6.5, but I may try that Federal factory offering just to see how it performs. I ran some factory Hornady Match stuff (140gr ELDM) through my rifle and it didn't care much for it. They all have different 'appetites' though. ;)

Another member turned me on to this company. Uses Peterson brass so you have good stuff if you decide to reload or can have a buddy do it for you. Shoots .625 moa in a box stock Savage Desert Tactical.

My LAW likes Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELDx.

My wife's Savage Lady Hunter likes Hornady Superformance 129 SST's.

I have a Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor. I don't reload so I'm experimenting with ammo. What have others found works good? Lighter bullet or heavier? Brands?
Trying to save a few $ by including smart people and their experience.

As you can see you will get a variety of personal experiences and preferences. The factory ammunition has progressed tremendously in support of the non-reloading community and Hornady has been leading the way on this movement. Having said that, there will be a variation from lot# to lot#. Case in point, I have a TCA Compass in 6.5 CM (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/i-got-my-first-6-5-cm-for-20.201958/), because I am just breaking in the barrel, I got a couple of the cheapest off the shelf ammo at my LGS. It is a Winchester Deer Season XP 125g.

6.5 CM  TC Compass.jpg

6.5 CM deer season XP.jpg

Below are the two groups shot at 200Y with different lot#s.

Lot # difference 1 of 2.jpg

(3-shot @ 200Y)

Lot # difference 2 of 2.jpg

(5-shot @ 200Y)

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Ed

Last edited:
As you can see you you will get a variety of personal experiences and preferences. The factory ammunition has progressed tremendously in support of the non-reloading community and Hornady has been leading the way on this movement. Having said that, there will be a variation from lot# to lot#. Case in point, I have a TCA Compass in 6.5 CM (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/i-got-my-first-6-5-cm-for-20.201958/), because I am just breaking in the barrel, I got a couple of the cheapest off the shelf ammo at my LGS. It is a Winchester Deer Season XP 125g.

View attachment 219357
View attachment 219358

Below are the two groups shot at 200Y with different lot#s.

View attachment 219355
(3-shot @ 200Y)

View attachment 219356
(5-shot @ 200Y)

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Ed

200.gif

I'm not even gonna say anything ;)

Ever notice that when certain subjects are brought up how you get knee jerk responses.
Savage. "Ugly"
6.5CM "psychotic rants"

Best Factory Ammunition "All rifles are different, yours may not shoot" YES WE KNOW THAT!

Last edited:
My tikka CTR loves 120 grain Nosler I have tried several brand and weight bullets and I would be hard pressed to load my own and shoot better groups then the nosler 120's the best bonus is 6 for 6 bang flop on deer...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.