Best factory ammo for 300 win mag.

Looking for a good shooting factory load for a Remington sendero 300 win mag. 75% of the time it will be used for whitetail hunting inside 400 yards. So far I have shot hornady 200gn eldx precision hunter, these group around 1.25-1.5" at 100 yards. I also tried some 180 sst superformance ammo I had laying around. These shot a 1" group but I have had over expansion issues in the past with these. I would like to stay in the 180-200gn range as I also like to practice at some longer distances for fun. Just looking for what may work well for others.
I spend a lot of time hunting with my .300, hunting everything from small African antelopes to red stag, kudu and eland. I use exclusively Swift A-frame and Barnes. Depending on animal size/species I use 150–180 grain bullets. I have a Leupold scope with CDS set with 165 gr Barnes. With lots of range time I can switch from 150, 165, 180 Barnes or Swift and know I'll be fine out to 400+ yards. I love 180 gr. Swift on heavy animals as it rarely penetrates the off shoulder and ends up about the size of a quarter just under the skin. Go to their website and watch the clip on how it is supposed to work. Last year took an eland (around 1700#) with one shot at 375 yards. It stood there for a moment and then toppled over. The bullet could be felt just under the skin. I stopped reloading after 50+ years because factory ammo got so good. Started when I was 12 and will be 72 this year. Good luck!

Try the Barnes VOR-TX 180gr. I have never found a rifle that it wouldn't shoot great in.

Looking for a good shooting factory load for a Remington sendero 300 win mag. 75% of the time it will be used for whitetail hunting inside 400 yards. So far I have shot hornady 200gn eldx precision hunter, these group around 1.25-1.5" at 100 yards. I also tried some 180 sst superformance ammo I had laying around. These shot a 1" group but I have had over expansion issues in the past with these. I would like to stay in the 180-200gn range as I also like to practice at some longer distances for fun. Just looking for what may work well for others.
My Remington 700 LR shoots 1/4" groups with 215 Berger Hybrids at 100 yrds. Berger makes great factory ammo.

I still ammunition for a living and I would think for the price point and if you're going to just hunt whitetails I would go to something reasonably cheap which is federal 180 grain blue box or Remington core lock for the price you can't beat them most people get 1 MOA or better and they just seem to work

I still ammunition for a living and I would think for the price point and if you're going to just hunt whitetails I would go to something reasonably cheap which is federal 180 grain blue box or Remington core lock for the price you can't beat them most people get 1 MOA or better and they just seem to work
that was I sale ammunition

Dont you just love hearing that them "best" :rolleyes:

The "best" factory ammo is the one that works in YOUR rifle.

There is no shortcuts here but I will say your chances of finding a better accurate brand would lay in getting some match ammo.
In saying that in several rifles I have found just good old Federal Blue box worked well but not the most outstanding

Still imo you need to line up 6 brands, test them & go from there, your rifle will tell you what is "the best"

So far I have purchased hornady 178gr eldx precision hunter, Berger 185 classic hunter, and nosler 180gr ballistic tip. I may also order some from hsm but I cannot buy them locally so I'll see how the others do first.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.