Best Factory 7WSM

Brentster7189

I've been thinking about getting this rifle. I can't afford to get a custom one made. There aren't too many factory manufacturers out there making them, a few that have stopped making them too.

I was curious if anyone else out there that couldn't afford a custom make and ended up getting a factory model in this caliber might have any advice or insight to share on the best one...or at least your opinion of the best one out there.

I'm looking at this being my all around hunting rifle, elk, deer, bear, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Ya. I see Winchester and Browning have it available in a factory rifle. Was looking at the Win. Extreme Weather SS. Looks like a nice rifle.

I have used a Browning Stalker in 7WSM as my walking rifle for several years. Once I got it bedded, it shoots very well for a lightweight 22" barrel. I have made several shots over 450 yards with it over the years.

I really like my 7WSM and shoot it more than my other rifles but if I were hunting Elk and Bear, I'd go with a .338 something. I'll probably get pounded, but that's just my feelings. I know bullet placement is very important as well as type of bullet and target distance, but for the larger game a larger caliber is better.
db

I think you're right...you just elicited some more responses on this thread. I'm not touching it! The only reason I was looking at it was for the short action, and the availability of having more energy downrange further. Otherwise I'd be happy with a 7mm-08 hunting just about any big game in Idaho under 300 yards. Which is probably what most people shoot under hunting anyways. That's just my opinion of someone who has grown up here hunting from childhood in central Idaho and seeing a lot of people shoot a lot of game....and a majority of them were not magnums. Big game has not gotten any tougher since then. It's all a marketing ploy.

So maybe I just threw some icing on the cake? LOL.

I bought a super shadow mod 70 on gunbroker for 500. Nice short lightweight 7wsm. Crappy stock but a great all weather carry rifle. I think I'll put a decent stock on it. Someday if I shoot the barrel out I'll maybe make it a little heavier barreled but it really doesn't need it for walking and shooting practically anything I shoot like what you mention. This is a good action to customize and I can go to 300 wsm on a rebarrel. Not likely though.

300 is a lot closer than 1200. A solid in 7 will work well. I once watched a butcher kill a 1000lb cow with a 22 rimfire and under those conditions worked well. They kill big bear with bows at 20 yards, but I wouldn't try that. I have killed many deer with 12 ga slugs. Way to much. Shoot what you're comfortable with but bigger bullets cause more damage, just the way it is.
db

"That's just my opinion of someone who has grown up here hunting from childhood in central Idaho and seeing a lot of people shoot a lot of game....and a majority of them were not magnums. Big game has not gotten any tougher since then. It's all a marketing ploy."

It is deffinately true that marketers have jumped on the magnum band wagon, BUT magnums are better for long range. While the game hasnt gotten any tougher, people are shooting stuff that they simply couldnt even come close to 20 years ago.

LR elk = .308 call or bigger.

I know lots of guys that hunt long range elk with .257's and such. I think they are holding to steadfast to what their Dads had taught them and need to learn to think outside the "Dad knows best" box. Not to disrespect anyone that shoots something smaller.

I think they are holding to steadfast to what their Dads had taught them and need to learn to think outside the "Dad knows best" box. Not to disrespect anyone that shoots something smaller.

I think your dead on with that one. I would never see my dad shoot anything over 300 yards. He never even worries about planning his loads for more. I'm one that would like to reach out and touch something further...or at least have the tools available to go a few hundred yards more if I needed to. That's the only reason I'm looking for something like this size caliber. I'm a fan of the .284 bullets, just a personal preference. I know a custom gun would really dial it in better for me, but I just don't have the money for that. I appreciate all the feedback so far guys.

Just wanted to bump this thread now that hunting season has been in full swing. My seasons are mostly over, and am expecting to be able to purchase a new rifle soon. I'm still considering the Model 70 7wsm. I'm a fan on f the .284 caliber. My daughter has a 7mm-08 which is a tack driver, but I'm looking to have something I can get out there a little farther with, with a higher grain bullet and still have some good energy.

Anyone else have comments on this particular rifle, maybe you were able to use it this fall for the first time, or have recently purchased it, and have some experience to share.

Thanks in advance.

I shoot a 7mm wsm and would take it for anything in north america up to 1000yards except brown bears. I know it would kill them but drt at 40 yards. Don't think I could take too big of a gun for brown bear in tall bush along a kodiak river. 600 nitro express is not too much at 10 yards !

You could just jump to a 300 wsm. Same action length and it's starting to look like the 300 wsm is the mainstay of the wsm's. I think that's why the manufacturers are pulling back on the 7's. Food for thought...

Why not go to a 300 wsm ? Then you need a heavier 210gr bullet to keep up down range and powder capacity to push the big bullet is lacking in a short actoin. The recoil starts to get ugly. A 7mm wsm with a 160-168gr bullet is all I care to shoot in a light carry rifle without a brake. Tbe 7mm wsm is in a sweet spot for north american game. I would have an extreme weather ss in 7mm wsm but for lack of funds and already having a blued push feed in 7m wsm. Lots of 7mm haters out there. They hate right up until they get one...and then they become another insufferable 7mm lover who talk about how great they are. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.