Best Elk Bullet...

Either of the two you mentioned 215 Berger or 181 hammer, that you are most confident with that is the #1 consideration in my opinion. That being said I like the hammer, less meat loss, an up close shot better bullet integrity, less worries on heavier bone hits if needed but maybe wait for better shot.

Crazyhorse. In 2008 I shot a very large bodied 5 point Elk in Idaho. I was using 210 Berg VLD's out of a 300 Ultra Mag. I was all set up for long range and the bull came on the run with a whole herd and I was able to get a quick shot off at about 125 yds. Unfortunately, it was a dead center lung shot and the animal just kept going with the rest of the herd leaving me behind wondering if I should hang it up and quit hunting. However, I was dead certain I hit him and went to find a blood trail which I did, a typical large blood trail for about 250 yards. I'm always amazed at the stamina these creatures have and bullet placement is important because no matter what bullet you use some of them aren't going to die in there tracks. Some of the Berger exited the other side leaving a few holes in around a 1" circle. Attached is pic of lung damage. I still use Bergers today. Also, if you can shoot fist sized groups at 1000 yards that would be a perfect score with all X's in F class competition. Amazing shooting.

Attachments

• DSC00629.JPG
    DSC00629.JPG
    446.9 KB · Views: 136
Like many here I live everyday in elk country.
I have used Partitions with great success but have switched to Nosler Accubonds 180 gr back when Partitions were hard to come a while back so I switched but like elk eater I am looking close at Hammers and will make the switch next summer as I never make a major switch decision so close to elk season here in Montana.
Just my 2 cents
Old Rooster

Elk seem to soak up a disproportionate amount of lead in different situations. When we first started hunting elk I worried about the Sierra Game Kings that we had used on deer forever. At the time the only other "premium" bullet was the Nosler Partition. I tried for the better part of a year to get the partitions to shoot and failed miserably. That ended my quest for a premium bullet to hunt elk. For the next fifteen or so years we muddled through the hunting seasons killing elk every season using "just" the Sierra bullets. Although I had always had incredible success with the Sierra Match Kings for accuracy, I have never believed that you should use a target type bullet to shoot game.
When Barnes came out with the TTSX and everyone said they would shoot, I jumped on the band wagon. Still use TTSX for ALL of my hunting. Never had anything but perfect performance on all of the elk and deer that we have shot over the years. I know that it isn't supposed to be part of the equation but even the Barnes bullets cause my wallet to complain.
IMHO it is always shot placement that will kill the animal. I use Barnes because I have been able to make them shoot and as I get longer in the tooth, I do consider the amount of lead that is left in the meat to be a concern. I have two grandsons that I feed and although I am usually not much of a chicken little the sky is falling type, I think that the least amount of lead that we put into our body is a good thing.
I guess at the end of the day, for me, accuracy first and almost on the same level, terminal performance. If you don't hit them, you can't kill them.

As I hit enter and let this thread go, I'm simultaneously taking cover under my desk the way they taught us in grade school in case we got nuked by the Russians!

Seriously, I've used the search function and found tons of helpful info but new technology and bullet offerings drop nearly every week and I'm wanting the most recent opinion of those here who shoot elk on the regular.

I was very fortunate to draw what for me will be a bucket list elk tag in NM this year and I'm likely over thinking this for that reason, but here goes...

Ill be using my customized 300WM M700 w/Bartlein 10t bbl. I was told to expect shots from 50 to 500yds, with 150 to 250 being the most common and elevation ranging from 6500' to 11000'. The rifle shoots the 215 Berger amazingly well with regular fist sized groups @ 1000yds. Will the Berger be a liability under 200yds? I've also started load development with the 181 Sledge Hammers getting sub-moa results on the first outing but worry about its performance if I need to get close to my self imposed max range of 500yds.
I've killed one cow elk about 10 years ago and used a 7RM with 160 Accubonds and a perfect boiler room shot sent her running up the mountain with my only follow up being a texas heart shot stopping her immediately on impact (go figure).

I guess what I'm asking is for the people who hunt/shoot elk the way I do deer, if you get the same opportunity, what bullet are you shooting and why?
Shoot the heaviest bullet you can find. Hornady interlocks work,well and,so do Accubonds. On average I kill 2 elk per year or more on our ranch. Unless it is a head shot you're probably going to have to go find your elk I've tracked those burgers for miles. Yeah you're overthinking it. It's just like shooting a big deer that doesn't die very well. I did shoot a kalat 550 yards with an interlock out of the 338 Lapua and she just dropped straight down that doesn't happen very often the bullet was a 250 grain interlock no I only shoot 300 grain accubond

I think bullet placement is far more important than what bullet to use. But to your question, I've seen a lot of elk killed with the 300 mag over the years. Most of them with the 180 Nosler Partition, the rest were cup core bullets. Use the most accurate in your gun.

One thing I have learned is that at longer ranges and in rough thick cover an exit hole is important. You can kill an elk at 500 yards only he won't oblige and wander off several hundred yards then keel over. A spotter/partner to direct you to the spot the elk stood when hit and an exit hole to allow you to track. This is why the partitions are so popular, enough expansion to do damage and enough retained mass/energy to punch out an exit wound.

Last edited:
As I hit enter and let this thread go, I'm simultaneously taking cover under my desk the way they taught us in grade school in case we got nuked by the Russians!

Seriously, I've used the search function and found tons of helpful info but new technology and bullet offerings drop nearly every week and I'm wanting the most recent opinion of those here who shoot elk on the regular.

I was very fortunate to draw what for me will be a bucket list elk tag in NM this year and I'm likely over thinking this for that reason, but here goes...

Ill be using my customized 300WM M700 w/Bartlein 10t bbl. I was told to expect shots from 50 to 500yds, with 150 to 250 being the most common and elevation ranging from 6500' to 11000'. The rifle shoots the 215 Berger amazingly well with regular fist sized groups @ 1000yds. Will the Berger be a liability under 200yds? I've also started load development with the 181 Sledge Hammers getting sub-moa results on the first outing but worry about its performance if I need to get close to my self imposed max range of 500yds.
I've killed one cow elk about 10 years ago and used a 7RM with 160 Accubonds and a perfect boiler room shot sent her running up the mountain with my only follow up being a texas heart shot stopping her immediately on impact (go figure).

I guess what I'm asking is for the people who hunt/shoot elk the way I do deer, if you get the same opportunity, what bullet are you shooting and why?

If you want a bullet that performs well in the 300 win, id run a 185 vld. The performance is extremely better than that of a 210 in my experiences.

My elk rifle is a Winchester model 70 in 300wsm. Has a leupold fx6 mounted on it. I shoot 180gr Nosler accubonds thru it. Closest shot was 130 yards, farthest was 420 yards . Never need a second shot . They all dropped right where they stood. Playing with the idea of going to 200gr but I haven't need too .

Call me a lame old man, but bare with me a minute; I carry a .270 for about everything. I have a Rem 700 (LH). We usually hunt the black timber on the south side of Grand Mesa (Areas 52 and 521). It's pretty dense in places. The Remington has peep sites. I shoot 130 grain Barns. We seldom shoot over 50-75 yards. I won't take an iffy shot. Those 130's put them down. Never had to chase one more then 50 feet.

Elk hunting is a terrible disease, at 75 yr old, still going out and sitting on a favorite ridge with shots from 50 yd to 700 yd. Yes, I shoot long range all year so I know my gun and load. Killed a number of elk, most in the 100-300yd range using the Nosler 180 Partition in a 300 Wby. Last couple of years been using the Barnes TSX as it has a better ballistic profile past the 300 yd mark. Both kill very efficiently - just put the bullet in the kill zone and both will do the job.

Im old school when it comes to hunting. Im partial to Nosler partitions. You KNOW half the bullet will not come apart. Itll stop a freight train. Swift A Frame look familiar? Theres a good reason the partition has been ripped off so many times. The 180s are super accurate in the 300.
I shot a 180 Hornady interlock clear through a 1 inch thick piece of cold rolled steel, liquified hole right through.
That being said, nosler ballistic tips are great, Hornady and Sierra, Barnes..etc. any of them recommended for hunting by the manufacturer WILL work. SPEER is a real sleeper. Two of their bullets in different calibers have been the most accurate factory rounds i have ever shot. Nobody talks about speer cuz they're not new and "sexy".
We set limitations in our minds based on advertising. There are made up energy "rules" right? Well, we wiped out bison with lead balls at under 2000 fps. We take Elk with arrows. They kill elephants with 22s!!! Any bullet will work. Pick a few and whichever shoots best for you,( id try to get sub 1MOA,) use it!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts