Best Elk Bullet...

In the last several years I've been fortunate enough to kill 2 bulls and 2 cows. One of each with Barnes out .30 cal and one of each with Berger 195 loaded for 28 Nosler. All one shot kills, definitely less meat loss with monos.

Easy question, easy answer! A mono bullet. We use Barnes' on all big game. If I didn't already have a large quantity of Barnes Bullets for my wife and myself, I'd certainly try some Hammer Bullets. We've used Barnes' since the early '90's.....and have never been disappointed! Many folks right here on this site use them and are very satisfied! memtb

For your given ranges I would go with the tried and true Nosler partition or Barnes ttsx.

I've killed a handful of elk with 215 Berger's-I never did get the WOW factor with them.

For 500 yards and in, I wouldn't be concerned with BC as much as I would bullet construction.

I like my bullets to exit. Thick, steep, nasty dark drainages - you gotta have blood to follow.

Nobody has mentioned the 200 gr Accubond yet, so I'll throw that out. They have a pretty respectable BC (~0.560 by my LabRadar), and from my experience across rifles and calibers, they tend to shoot pretty decent without much load work.

From my 24" Shilen, they'll pretty easily go 2930 fps. That leaves them at roughly 2100 fps and 2000 ftlbs at ~600 yds. At 250-500 yds, they should be right in the sweet spot, and at 50 yds, they should still hold up well and punch through a heck of a lot of elk.

The bullet you can put in the right place, so what your gun shoots best is most important.

I've killed a dozen or so elk with 300 wm and 180BT. Killed a few with 200 gr accubonds, Berger's, LRAB's, matchkings. Probably killed another dozen with 185 Remington core locks back in the day out of a 8x338wm.

Point is don't over think it, they all work when you put them where you are suppose to!!!!

I'd go with an Accubond or Partition at shorter ranges. I have found the Accubond to be one of the most well-rounded bullets, allowing performance across a variety of ranges. I've killed with it from 100 to 700 yards. Specifically the 200AB in a 300WM.

My personal experience with the Bergers has been much more varied. Seen both blow-ups and pencils. I won't hunt with them. YMMV. I don't trust full coppers to expand at long range, low velocities either.

With your 500 yard self imposed max range it would be the Hammers all day! If the ranges were to greatly exceed that and push that 1000 yard threshold then the Berger's would be my pick. The Hammer hunters have been exceptional in their terminal performance (on deer & elk), accuracy, and ease of load development in the 6 rifles I've been loading them in. Tomorrow I may go try out my new action bar and swap to my faster twist .375 Snipetac barrel and try out some of the 411 Hammers Steve sent...oh yeah, add customer service to that list of exceptionals.

Can of worms and tons of opinions......500 yards and under, definitely look at a tougher bullet. Usually use Nosler Accubonds or a Barnes variant out of the 300 win. Its funny how we all set up to shoot elk at 800 or 900 yards and the next thing its 105 yards on a cutline. I have shot the Bergers, shoot well, but for closer shots, there are better bullets. Looking at the Federal Edge TLRs right now. Happy Hunting.

Why not just stick with what you know to shoot well out of your rifle? The 215's will kill an elk. Yes there are better hunting bullets but your accuracy my degrade and you have to start the whole reloading process all over...

Hard to beat Mono bullets, but I have found them to be ok on accuracy, especially at distance. I have had good luck with ELD-X bullets out of my Lazzeroni Warbird and that round usually blows bullets up with my velocity I'm getting...

Tou have a load, stick with it. Now just practice off hand shooting and different shooting positions to train yourself for a one shot kill.. that is what will be the most important. Shot placement and your performance under immense pressure when that monster 390-420 bull walks out....

As I hit enter and let this thread go, I'm simultaneously taking cover under my desk the way they taught us in grade school in case we got nuked by the Russians!

Seriously, I've used the search function and found tons of helpful info but new technology and bullet offerings drop nearly every week and I'm wanting the most recent opinion of those here who shoot elk on the regular.

I was very fortunate to draw what for me will be a bucket list elk tag in NM this year and I'm likely over thinking this for that reason, but here goes...

Ill be using my customized 300WM M700 w/Bartlein 10t bbl. I was told to expect shots from 50 to 500yds, with 150 to 250 being the most common and elevation ranging from 6500' to 11000'. The rifle shoots the 215 Berger amazingly well with regular fist sized groups @ 1000yds. Will the Berger be a liability under 200yds? I've also started load development with the 181 Sledge Hammers getting sub-moa results on the first outing but worry about its performance if I need to get close to my self imposed max range of 500yds.
I've killed one cow elk about 10 years ago and used a 7RM with 160 Accubonds and a perfect boiler room shot sent her running up the mountain with my only follow up being a texas heart shot stopping her immediately on impact (go figure).

I guess what I'm asking is for the people who hunt/shoot elk the way I do deer, if you get the same opportunity, what bullet are you shooting and why?
I do not know about elk but for moose, bears, boos. the 215 Berger Hybrid works the best for me from 300 -875 yards and longer out to 100 yards. higher vel and less presser then the 210vld

7mm 180 VLD

Leaving @ 3000fps, its still getting to its 1100 yard target @ 1600fps and carrying just over 1000ft/lbs. That's more than enough to kill either elk or moose.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts