Best electronic in ear hearing pro

I use Etymotic Gunsport Pros. They are excellent, but are not for under the roof at the firing line of the local range. I use them hunting.

Etymotic makes a lot of hearing devices. They even make ones for orchestra directors. They are high quality.

Remmy I really liked your first post, Thunderbeast. The second one Walker Razor not so much. I bought one of these thinking it was the ultimate. Loved the design, hearing enhancement and protection, and retractable ear buds. Nothing worked as advertised. Glad I bought them from Cabela's(easy returns). Could not return them fast enough.

Last edited:
I use Etymotic Gunsport Pros. They are excellent, but are not for under the roof at the firing line of the local range. I use them hunting.

Etymotic makes a lot of hearing devices. They even make ones for orchestra directors. They are high quality.
Just spent 20 minutes reviewing this product via Google searches. Look's to be a quality option. Currently $300. Thanks for sharing your experience with them.

How is the wind noise with these?

In normal mode, wind noise is not an issue. Normal mode just amplifies to normal hearing level. They have a switch that changes them to 5x amplification for enhanced hearing. In the enhanced mode wind noise can be an issue. They sell accessories for the earplugs. One is a small set of of wind noise covers for the mics. They work well to stop wind noise in enhanced mode.

One thing that makes these protectors so good are the assortment of soft earpieces that come with them. They have some that are denser foam that they recommend for shooting. The dense foam works a lot better than the normal silicon soft winged earpieces that are on a lot of electronic hearing protectors you see.

Looks like they have a new model too. That are designed for tactical use. They maybe even better than the GSP model I use.

They will also do custom fit plugs for you. You have to have a hearing professional make a mold for you though. I may try that someday.

Add: Would love to see some comparison reviews of a few hearing protection products!

For the Gunsport pro, there is a slight drawback with the batteries. Apparently the type of batteries they use degrade even when stitting, so they don't last all that long. They have a new Elite version coming out with rechargeable batteries. May be worth the wait for some people.

I think all of these small hearing aid batteries are this way. There is actually no off switch on the GSP plugs. You can open the battery compartments at night though and the batteries will drain slower. But they usually last 4~5 days anyway. Then you just put new batteries in them. These batteries aren't that expensive and you can get them in in several package bundles on Amazon. So for a 2 week hunt you will probably go thru 3~4 sets of batteries.

Problem I have with the rechargeable ones it finding powder in hunting camp. Now if you used them daily for some other task, rechargeable would indeed be great.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.