Best, easiest, fastest scope for sub > 700yrds

ARTD338

I am seeking advice for what are my best options for a scope for strictly hunting elk and deer at yardages at or below 700 yards. Why 700 max? because that is the farthest I can shoot with regularity. I am looking for a scope that is as easy and quick to use in the field and still be 100% dead reliable. I have no interest in mildot scopes or any scope that requiers I make mathamaticle cauculations of any kind.

I plan on buying a rifle in 300WSM to place this scope on. I am trying to keep this rig as light as I can. My scope budget is trying to keep it below $1000.
Based on my research so far I am leaning towards a scope that is designed for use with a spacific round and bullet such as my caliber of choice 300wsm with 180grn high BC bullets. But I also would like the option if possible of interchangeable adjustment dials so I can shoot 165 grain .308 bullets as well.

Although not 100% committed, I prefer this type of scope as it gives me a uncluttered scope picture which I strongly prefer, I could be wrong, but I am of the belief that this type of scope tends to be more accurate than the BDC type of scopes.

I personally like to use a angle correcting range finder to determine distance, use a wind meter, make my adjustments and then take the shot.

So what are my options and where should I start my search.
Thank you,
Arthur.

In northern IN you are not too far from SE MI...

I suggest you look at the 4-16x50 Vortex PST scope. At $700 it is well under your budget. With a SFP reticle, it will not be as distracting as what a FFP reticle could be. I think you will find 16x to be plenty of magnification on a big game animal at that range. 16x is also totally usable on that scope. The turrets work great, never had a problem with either of mine and they use shims to allow you to easily find zero. The 4x16 is more compact than the 6-24x50 and it is really hard to actually use 24x on that scope. 20x is getting closer to the limit.

If you use flip up caps, you can store a drop chart in the cover. I clear tape my drop chart to the side of the stock. I also have a wind meter that is basically a weather station (pressure + temp + compass) and it has applied ballistic software with their advanced bullet drag data. So I can use that in the field to run a ballistics calculation if environmental data was too far off the conditions at which the rifle is zeroed.

If you can swing the extra money, look at the Zeiss Z5 scopes. They have the version with exposed turrets for about $1100 and I am sure they will be hard to fault optically. Can't vouch for customer service.

Check out the burris eliminator. I have the original 3-12 and it works real nice out yo 600 yards on my .300 ultra. I am thinking about upgrading to the newest version of the eliminator. Its supposef to be good out to 1200 yards i believe.

My favorite big game long range hunting scope is the Leupold VX3 3x10x40 CDS $550.
I do not use the CDS feature, but I do use the elevation turret.
I practice at various distances and mark the ranges with a sharpie pen onto 1/2" glow tape [JVCC GLW] wrapped around the turret.
I use a Leica CRF 1600 rangefinder on a tether. $800

I have a lot of the big heavy expensive baseball bat size scopes. I am still using those for rodents. I can pack one of those rifles, and I can drag out a deer, but I not doing both.

Leupold 6.5x20 Long range Target with a Duplex reticule. It is light and will track. Then all you got to do is go to Berger and set up the Ballistic program for your bullet and velocity. Copy it. You will almost always be close enough for 700 Yard shooting. I like it in MOA. Matt

Leupold 6.5x20 Long range Target with a Duplex reticule. It is light and will track. Then all you got to do is go to Berger and set up the Ballistic program for your bullet and velocity. Copy it. You will almost always be close enough for 700 Yard shooting. I like it in MOA. Matt

And you can pick up a nice used one on ebay for $500 or so dollars.
And if theres a problem Leupold will fix or replace it forever for free.

If you want easy and quick the Zeiss with the Rapid Z reticle is hard to beat. You can adjust the scope to your bullet easily with their online calculator. Ingenious method that allows you to input velocity, BC, elevation etc and it will spit back what power setting to adjust your scope to for that bullet and load. Works very well. No need to turn turrets etc. Just get the range and go. Stadia lines out to 800 yards. I have three of these and at this point one too many. I have a 3.5-10x44 with the Rapid Z 800 reticle up for sale in like new condition for only$380.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.