Best Do It All Shotgun?

Remington 1100's are timeless. With inexpensive barrel swaps it can do virtually anything and parts are super cheap and readily available. One of my favorite stories to tell about 1100's (and be clear this only applies to real 1100's none of the variants like 11-87) is that back in the late 1990's I shot registered skeet for a few years. All gauges. In 20, 28 & 410 you saw some super expensive hardware, all over and unders with even more expensive full length insert tube sets. The 12 gauge event was always the last event of the weekend. When that event came around a surprising number of top shooters would put their O/U's away and pull out a 26" 12 gauge 1100. Not only in smaller events but the biggest I shot in, the MI State Championship, had tons of shooters clean the 12 gauge and shoot offs took for ever. Lot's of 1100's showing up in the shoot-offs as well. These people can shoot any gun on earth they want. To me that says a lot.

A buddy of mine who is now in his 80's and deadly fast on anything with feathers on it has a 28ga 1100 skeet gun and it is an upland machine. Yes, not the best choice for reloaders, depends on volume you shoot and budget.

But as I wrote earlier in this post, my choice is still me synthetic 390 Beretta 12 gauge.

JB

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the Franchi Affinity Elite sounds like a fantastic choice for your application. It's very lightweight, dead reliable in all weather conditions, and they make a very attractive walnut stocked model. I shoot a plastic stocked 3.5" model for waterfowl and have absolutely nothing but good things to say.

I shoot a few Dove and Quail but am mainly a rifle guy so am soliciting experience formed opinions on what the best Do It All shotgun would be. Do It All being mostly dove and quail with occasional waterfowl.

I would want nice walnut or a synthetic walnut. My son has a Beretta A390 with a synthetic walnut finished stock that is absolutely gorgeous. You have to look really hard to tell it's not walnut, but, alas, as near as I can tell, they don't offer that option for their stocks anymore.

What do you shotgun aficionados recommend?

Thanks,

John
I love my Browning auto 5.

I shoot a few Dove and Quail but am mainly a rifle guy so am soliciting experience formed opinions on what the best Do It All shotgun would be. Do It All being mostly dove and quail with occasional waterfowl.

I would want nice walnut or a synthetic walnut. My son has a Beretta A390 with a synthetic walnut finished stock that is absolutely gorgeous. You have to look really hard to tell it's not walnut, but, alas, as near as I can tell, they don't offer that option for their stocks anymore.

Thanks,

John
Look up one or more of the shotgun forums like I did years ago and you will find your answer if you post your question there.! I learned that the Beretta a390 was considered the best all around of all time ahead of the Beretta a303 and b80 browning ( same guns just has browning on it) just because it shoots 3 inch shells with no adjustment. The others require a barrel change. Pm if you have questions. Tribb

"Best Do It All Shotgun?" Trick question!!! That's an impossible hypothetical Unicorn. "Ain't no such thingy." That's why one works hard/smart for decades so as not to have to make those Unicorn decisions. Have well over 350 smooth bores......severe lack of adult supervision in my life....... subscribe to paradigm "if one knows how many guns one has, one doesn't have nearly enough"... :) :) :) Home defense/room clearing with mags/drums/ "Crazy, Senile, Fire-two-blasts in the air" Joeys are very different from upland walking quail/grouse/chukar/pheasant heavy brush/open picked crop hunting from duck/goose blind/soaking wet/sleeting hunting from snarly clawed up close 'n' personal from Saturday afternoon club BBQ trap/skeet/sporting clays/crazy quail outings from unique/novel play pretties. Absolutely covet (sorry, God, you know I'm a willing work in progress....) break guns O/Us, SxSs, drillings, even singles. Nice assortments of SKBs, Brownings, Perazzis, "Englisnobys", and numerous I still can't pronounce. Enjoy fine wood/synthetic stocked Rem/Win/Mossy/Ithaca/Benes/et el shuckers, autos, some with EoTechs for turkey......feathered and not. If you think you have a "Best do it all shotgun," then, I have a "best do it all" NIB Unicorn attractively priced for your consideration.....PayPal, USPS MO, Certified......personal must clear before shipping...... "Best Do It All Shotgun?" Shaking head, rolling eyes, laughing convulsively.......
Well said

I used to bird hunt alot. But my uncle passed away that lived in Kansas. I would love to take my 28ga bird hunting. I will try to kill a few quail here. Arkansas dont have alot of qauil.

I had a Browning Gold Hunter that I liked ended up selling its for my Benelli Montefelteo Silver. I do mostly Upland game so it worls. If I was gonna do water fowl I'd Have got something more weatherized like a SBE2 or the likes

Then again it's pretty hard to beat the Remington 870 Wingmaster.

I have personally shot and open a number of shotguns and from the ones that I have shot the Franchi Affinity is my go to gun for hunting. It's also the cheapest gun I have but the one I like best. Next choice would be Berretta a400 upland then Browning Maxxus 2. They all three shoot extremely well but I personally like the Franchi best. For a double I would go Browning Citori or Ruger red label.

I have personally shot and open a number of shotguns and from the ones that I have shot the Franchi Affinity is my go to gun for hunting. It's also the cheapest gun I have but the one I like best. Next choice would be Berretta a400 upland then Browning Maxxus 2. They all three shoot extremely well but I personally like the Franchi best. For a double I would go Browning Citori or Ruger red label.
I Like the Browning b 80 myself

Old thread....Simple find an older 870 Wingmaster. Save your old fixed choke barrel and throw a newer tube choke barrel on it if you want. They were still made start to finish by one person even into the early 90's. Then they went to crap after the express and production line guns started making more money. Grab every one you can find and is not crazy jacked up in price.

Thanks,

John
Winchester model 12. Find a good used one
Go have fun! I've used my 20ga for every thing. Including ducks over decoys.HTH