Best Do It All Shotgun?

Beretta 390 3901 or 391 is my vote. I've hunted my 390 for 20 years in the duck blind and has been really reliable. My dad gave me a Benelli M2. Jammed and failure to feed frequently. I gave it back. I don't want a Benelli even if it's given to me.

I own 13 shotguns, but most of my shooting needs are done with 2 shotguns.
the primary all-around gun is a light Turkish inertia 28 ga, 20" bbl.
I load for it using Hodgdon Longshot to get 1300 fps with 3/4 oz and this is the only load I shoot. Shot size varies according to what I plan on shooting.
My waterfowler is also a Turkish inertia shotgun, but is a heavy 12 ga 3-1/2", 32" bbl which I also load for. Ammo gets quite pricey for this gun, in addition to which handloading slugs and buckshot is kinda fun too.
I tried to find an all-around 1 only shotgun, but performance parameters and terrain here in Western South Dakota dictate otherwise.

I love my M2! I've hunted dove, Huns, chuckers, pheasants, ducks and geese and it handles them all well. I advice to people who ask this question is to go to your local stores and throw every one up to your shoulder. When you find the one that fits you best you buy it regardless of the price.

I own 13 shotguns, but most of my shooting needs are done with 2 shotguns.
the primary all-around gun is a light Turkish inertia 28 ga, 20" bbl.
I load for it using Hodgdon Longshot to get 1300 fps with 3/4 oz and this is the only load I shoot. Shot size varies according to what I plan on shooting.
My waterfowler is also a Turkish inertia shotgun, but is a heavy 12 ga 3-1/2", 32" bbl which I also load for. Ammo gets quite pricey for this gun, in addition to which handloading slugs and buckshot is kinda fun too.
I tried to find an all-around 1 only shotgun, but performance parameters and terrain here in Western South Dakota dictate otherwise.
A 28 gauge is great isn't it?

I second the REMINGTON V3 recommendation. Handles very light to heavy 3"loads with reduced recoil making it a perfect gun for a wide variety of applications. Available in wood and several camouflage versions as well as 26" or 28" barrel. Uses a gas system that doesn't require frequent cleaning.

About 30 years ago Browning put out an over-under 20 ga, 30/06 combination gun. I bought one and to this day regret having sold it. Shot some skeet with the 20 and it worked fine. Never put a scope on the thing so could only use iron sights. Old eyes don't work so well at long ranges so can't say how accurate it was. Made one trip to Europe were we were to shoot driven pheasant and wold boar. Great gun for that.

Remington 870 is hard to beat for adaptability, and aftermarket support. 30" goose barrels and 18.5" rifle sight "tactical" barrels. Extended magazine tubes. Id love a Browning Superposed. One of the more afordable, less shiny ones, but I dont do enough shotgunning to make it a reasonable purchase.

I shoot a few Dove and Quail but am mainly a rifle guy so am soliciting experience formed opinions on what the best Do It All shotgun would be. Do It All being mostly dove and quail with occasional waterfowl.

I would want nice walnut or a synthetic walnut. My son has a Beretta A390 with a synthetic walnut finished stock that is absolutely gorgeous. You have to look really hard to tell it's not walnut, but, alas, as near as I can tell, they don't offer that option for their stocks anymore.

What do you shotgun aficionados recommend?

Thanks,

John
Buy one of each make and model mentioned in the many replies. You'll make everyone happy except your wallet.

I shoot a few Dove and Quail but am mainly a rifle guy so am soliciting experience formed opinions on what the best Do It All shotgun would be. Do It All being mostly dove and quail with occasional waterfowl.

I would want nice walnut or a synthetic walnut. My son has a Beretta A390 with a synthetic walnut finished stock that is absolutely gorgeous. You have to look really hard to tell it's not walnut, but, alas, as near as I can tell, they don't offer that option for their stocks anymore.

What do you shotgun aficionados recommend?

Thanks,

John

If you want a very simple but well built, mostly indestructible, shotgun to do "everything" it's hard to beat a Remington Wingmaster 870, 12 gauge with RemChoke tubes. My older (mid 90s) Beretta 390 does have real walnut stock and forend. It is also very versatile, but requires more extensive cleaning and upkeep than the 870.

I neglected to comment about 28 gauge. Not sure I'm in on it for one all purpose shotgun but for sure punches way above its weight. When I shot registered skeet it was one everybody loved to shoot. I used to hunt upland birds with a gentleman that had an old 1100 skeet in 28 gauge and he was a bird killing machine with it.

JB

For upland game I use an older Browning Citori over/under 20 ga that my dad used for years. He had an inch taken off the stock and it fits me sooooooo nicely. I was using an auto 12 prior to that but quickly realized my buddy with his Beretta 20 o/u always brought home more birds. I'm catching up. :)

For waterfowl it's a Benelli 12 ga auto. It gets beyond cold where we hunt and the inertial gun does better than a gas gun for me in those conditions. My son has a 20 Montefeltro that's a nice gun.

I do about as much bird hunting/shotgun shooting as I do rifle shooting. Mostly duck hunting but shoot doves, quail, or a case of skeet every now and then. I shoot a 12 Ga Beretta 3901 (3" gun) for all of it. I would recommend Beretta over anything else for the reliability and quality. At the very least make sure you get a gas gun. They shoot so much softer than inertia guns. 3 or 3 1/2" magnum duck or turkey loads in a Benelli feel like shooting an un-braked 300 Win Mag compared to the Beretta feeling closer to a 6.5 Creedmoor with the same loads. I've also seen inertia guns have jamming problems in sub-freezing temperatures. I literally dropped my Beretta in a 4' deep ditch on a day when my truck read 4 degrees. Managed to find the sling with my foot and shot all three rounds on the first volley of Teal about 30 mins latter with icicles hanging off it.