Best Do It All Shotgun?

Hondo64d

I shoot a few Dove and Quail but am mainly a rifle guy so am soliciting experience formed opinions on what the best Do It All shotgun would be. Do It All being mostly dove and quail with occasional waterfowl.

I would want nice walnut or a synthetic walnut. My son has a Beretta A390 with a synthetic walnut finished stock that is absolutely gorgeous. You have to look really hard to tell it's not walnut, but, alas, as near as I can tell, they don't offer that option for their stocks anymore.

What do you shotgun aficionados recommend?

Thanks,

John

Whichever fits you best. Shotguns are like bows in this manner. Shotgunning is more instinctive shooting than with a rifle. The shotgun has to point good. My suggestion is stay with an Auto loader and go to a store and hold them all. Be personally I shoot a winchester sx3. My dad shoots a benelli. I prefer my winchester he prefers his benneli. It all just boil down to how it fits. I'll add gas guns a softer shooting than inertia guns

If it were just dovr and quail is go 28 gauge..
Throw in ducks and shells get real expensive..really fast...if you reload..not so much and you can use ITX shot and blasts ducks turkeys geese...
But your probably looking for 12 gauge...

28 is my choice for everything I hunt (turkey, ducks, pheasants, & doves). I'm partial to Ruger's Red Label with a straight English style stock. They just seem to snap to attention for me. You have to hunt with a 28 to fully appreciate one. Last season I backed up a buddy's miss and crumpled a cock pheasant at over 40 yards with improved choke. That bird looked as though it had flown into a brick wall. If you can hit it with a 12, you can kill it with a 28.

I shoot a few Dove and Quail but am mainly a rifle guy so am soliciting experience formed opinions on what the best Do It All shotgun would be. Do It All being mostly dove and quail with occasional waterfowl.

I would want nice walnut or a synthetic walnut. My son has a Beretta A390 with a synthetic walnut finished stock that is absolutely gorgeous. You have to look really hard to tell it's not walnut, but, alas, as near as I can tell, they don't offer that option for their stocks anymore.

Thanks,

John
Well I used to have 20 shotguns and 3 rifles. Then I bought a Benelli SBE, 25 years ago. Now I have 3 shotguns and 30 rifles. It does everything from goose to quail and dove. And keeps doing it, any difference in recoil between gas guns and inertia is subjective to the shooter.

For me the remington LT-20 was the best fitting fastest swinging shotgun I ever used. I have a 20 guage Browning Superposed with the straight grip and 26 inch barrels I used for grouse and bunnies. I still use my skeet model 1100 for birds some. But I like the Browning better. But the LT-20 could easily be my everything shotgun if I could only have one.
Shep

For me the remington LT-20 was the best fitting fastest swinging shotgun I ever used. I have a 20 guage Browning Superposed with the straight grip and 26 inch barrels I used for grouse and bunnies. I still use my skeet model 1100 for birds some. But I like the Browning better. But the LT-20 could easily be my everything shotgun if I could only have one.
Shep
Mossberg 500

Thanks,

John

When you say occasional waterfowl, what do you mean? Geese? Ducks?

I have been wing shooting since I was 12. You can do almost anything you want to do, even turkey, with a 20 Ga. The only reason I have a 12 Ga. is for goose and sandhill crane. A 20 with a 3 inch chamber can cover a lot (Most) situations and generally speaking is much more of a pleasure to shoot.

I agree with creedmoor shooter, go try out several. Pick a target in store and shoulder each a few times. Choose the one that most naturally shoulders with an accurate point of aim. Most semi-autos these days are pretty close to the same and the lower priced turkish productions from several manufacturers are just as good as the higher priced models.I have several Rem 1100s including an LT-20 from the 70's, but I still prefer my Stoeger 3020 because it is lighter, its an inertia action, and it just shoots softer and is easier to carry in long walks.

Try them, out, choose your fav and enjoy!

Last edited:

Thanks,

John